Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New User, Setting up Debian (Suspend issue)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
supersoup

New User, Setting up Debian (Suspend issue)

#1 Post by supersoup »

Hello,

I'm still somewhat new to the world of GNU/Linux, so I thought this might best fit in Beginners' Questions. Forgive me if it's not the right forum.

I set up Debian 11 last night, and have been having some issues since. The one I'm grappling with at the moment is that I'm seemingly unable to suspend. I've been following hacky rabbit trails to try and resolve it. I'll try to document the steps I've taken as well as any possibly useful info regarding my setup process. I'm hoping a more experienced user will also have comments unrelated to the Suspend issue on better practices.

lsb_release -a

Code: Select all

Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release:	11
Codename:	bullseye
I'm using Cinnamon for the desktop environment
cinnamon --version

Cinnamon 4.8.6
First up, during installation I selected "Force UEFI Mode [...]: no", as it detected that I have "another OS in BIOS-compatibility mode" which is a Windows 10 installation. I confirmed via the BIOS that Windows 10 doesn't seem to be using UEFI. Note that I had to boot the Installation Media into UEFI for some reason or else I got garbled video output. I also did Guided partitioning with LVM, using the whole disk. This defaulted to 1GiB(?) of a swap partition and the rest of my 1TB Debian installation drive as the root partition.

Launching into Debian gave me an error popup mentioning that there was no hardware acceleration. I used apt to install firmware-linux, firmware-linux-nonfree, and xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu, I believe, along with associated dependencies. I'll spare you the apt list --installed for now unless requested.

Attempting a Suspend, at first, almost immediately powered off the machine as if I held the power button down. Pressing a key on the keyboard, assuming it was properly suspended, woke the device but sent me all the way through the BIOS and Grub startup process. Upon discovering the issue with Suspend, I began researching to find a solution.

My first attempt to resolve it was in identifying that my swap partition was only 1GiB(?), so I attempted to resize it. I booted back into the installation media and used resize2fs and lvresize to make my swap partion 32GiB. Now when attempting to Suspend, it takes a bit longer, which is encouraging, with the same wake on input behavior, but still putting me through the BIOS and Grub menus.

Due to my ignorance of GNU/Linux, I initially took that all my windows were closed on logging back in as part of the issue. As if it was performing a full shutdown. I now know that is intended behavior when logging out of a desktop environment. How would I configure session saving with Cinnamon? I found some initially promising leads but they involved an apparently depreciated and unmaintained third-party tool. It was mentioned in a forum post I cruised past, and I can't recall it at the moment.

Next, I discovered that there was a known issue with Debian 11 and Suspend. Between that and this thread, I decided to implement init_on_alloc=0 in my Grub defaults. After adding the line and invoking update-grub, it seems to have had no effect.

What are my options? My preferred method of closing up shop for the night is suspending the machine. Perhaps that's a crufty habit at this point, but I'm in deep enough now that I'd like to try and find a solution.

Any other tips are appreciated! I'm transitioning from maining Windows for several decades, and you don't know what you don't know, so I'll take anything at this point.

inxi:

CPU: 6-Core AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 2056/2200/3800 MHz 
Kernel: 5.10.0-10-amd64 x86_64 Up: 1h 23m Mem: 2288.9/15997.0 MiB (14.3%) 
Storage: 3.67 TiB (0.7% used) Procs: 320 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.01 
inxi -Gxxx:

Device-1: AMD Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] 
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.0 
chip ID: 1002:731f class ID: 0300 
Device-2: HTC (High Tech ) Vive type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
bus ID: 1-6.1.2:10 chip ID: 0bb4:2c87 class ID: 0e02 
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati 
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1: 1920x1080 
2: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5700 (NAVI10 DRM 3.40.0 5.10.0-10-amd64 
LLVM 11.0.1) 
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.5 direct render: Yes 

Uptorn

Re: New User, Setting up Debian (Suspend issue)

#2 Post by Uptorn »

A more directed way to get the firmware for your AMD card would be through installing firmware-amd-graphics.

You might be able to view the events that happened before it last unexpectedly powered off from kernel or user logs (/var/log/kern.log or /var/log/user.log) Maybe it is going into hibernate instead?

zarathustra-f90

Re: New User, Setting up Debian (Suspend issue)

#3 Post by zarathustra-f90 »

Alright, this may be a foolish question but have you checked that really the system does not suspend? I mean in my own Debian 11 on laptop when it wakes up from suspend the boot screen appears like a normal restart but after login all the apps I had opened before suspension are still there.

Have you really checked with an open app (e.g. a text editor with an open file) that after suspension the app has quit?