Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Seamless Sound?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Red Fir

Seamless Sound?

#1 Post by Red Fir »

I'm running Debian 11 with xfce4, on an old Dell box with a quad-core and 32 gigs of ram and any effort to change sound output fails miserably.
I usually run headphones, but on occasion send sound through the HDMI port to show something to my family or stream a movie.
The only way this works is to reboot, which kinda ruins the moment.
I am trying to switch via the Pulse Audio tray icon. It will allow me to switch outputs...but then they are muted until reboot.

Wise Cognoscenti is there any way for this to occur less clumsily??

NorthEast

Re: Seamless Sound?

#2 Post by NorthEast »

You can reconfigure pulseaudio whilst it's running with the commands: pactl or pacmd.
I'm not completely apprised of your problem, but it sounds like your sound output gets captured and won't change. A command such as:

Code: Select all

pactl unload-module module-udev-detect && pactl load-module module-udev-detect
can redetect all your outputs and sort of put the system back to a point where you can choose another output and have it work without restarting pulseaudio or having to reboot.

Red Fir

Re: Seamless Sound?

#3 Post by Red Fir »

Thank you.