Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble installing snaps

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
quartztz

Trouble installing snaps

#1 Post by quartztz »

hey there! sorry if this is a dumb question/i'm not following proper forum etiquette, this is my first time on here. i'm running debian 11 on my chromebook through crostini, and i wanted to install snap packages. so i ran

Code: Select all

sudo apt install snapd
which ran without issue, and then as a test, i tried installing firefox. however, i got this message:

$ sudo snap install firefox
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Setup snap "firefox" (863) security profiles (cannot setup udev for snap "firefox": cannot run udev triggers: exit status 1
udev output:
Failed to write 'change' to '/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/uevent': Permission denied
)
- Setup snap "firefox" (863) security profiles (cannot run udev triggers: exit status 1
udev output:
Failed to write 'change' to '/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/uevent': Permission denied
)
- Setup snap "firefox" (863) security profiles for auto-connections (cannot run udev triggers: exit status 1
udev output:
)
does anybody know what's causing this? is it the fact i'm running through crostini?

thanks in advance for any and all kinds of help!! :3

kedaha

Re: Trouble installing snaps

#2 Post by kedaha »

DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

quartztz

#3 Post by quartztz »

thanks for the suggestion! unfortunately, i tried all the suggested steps and it seems nothing has changed, i get the same errors as before :(

Shamak

#4 Post by Shamak »

Snapcraft has a Debian guide. I am no expert but it worked for me when installing chromium.

https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-debian

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

Have you added any third-party sources to your sources.file?
If you haven't, then I'd suggest sending in a bug report.
I think you might as well remove the whole snapd shebang and use firefox from FlatPak, which might have versions of other applications you'd like to install from snap:

$ flatpak search firefox
Name         Description                                                                            Application ID                Version     Branch Remotes
Firefox      Fast, Private & Safe Web Browser                                                       org.mozilla.firefox           96.0.2      stable flathub
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

h0wefield

#6 Post by h0wefield »

Could be down to the slightly old snapd package in Bullseye.

Try asking on https://forum.snapcraft.io/ or IRC : #snapcraft

Daemonicvs

#7 Post by Daemonicvs »

Hello there,

Are you on Cinnamon, by a chance?, I ran debian testing, on Cinnamon, and I had the issue of snaps being installed correctly, but failed to create a proper launcher on the applications list, but I could see the snap installed (snap list), if this is your case, take a look at this,

https://discourse.destinationlinux.netw ... sting/4294

Thats my thread over there,

Also, you are supposed to install, unmask, enable and start snapd service,

apt install snapd
systemctl unmask snapd.service
systemctl enable snapd.service
systemctl start snapd.service

Those are my two cents.
Laters.