Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No DHCP address on Debian Live 11.2.0 boot from USB

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
frosty_molotch

No DHCP address on Debian Live 11.2.0 boot from USB

#1 Post by frosty_molotch »

Hi,

So I created a Debian Live USB bootable for my APU2D4 box. Everything works fine, I can boot, connect through the serial connection and log in. Though whatever I do I can't get an IP-address configures through DHCP. If I connect my windows laptop to the ethernet cable I get a IP configured straight away.

When I run

sudo dhclient -r enp1s0
sudo dhclient -v

All it says is

DHCPDISCOVER ... over all the network interfaces

then quits with

No DHCPOFFERS received.

Any pointers on what to try? DHCP obviously works just that I can't get my live boot to do it correctly.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: No DHCP address on Debian Live 11.2.0 boot from USB

#2 Post by p.H »

What does "ip -s addr" show ?

frosty_molotch

#3 Post by frosty_molotch »

So I left it unattended for an hour or so and now when I got back it has gotten an IP-address.

So I installed OpenWRT and rebooted. Same problem, no WAN IP assigned, ifstatus wan says '"pending": true' as if it's waiting for something.

First I thought could have something to do with the MAC and maybe some reset time with the ISP. But when I plugged in my windows computer it just worked.

Anyone got any idea why Debian and OpenWRT wouldn't be assigned IP:s straight away where Windows and OpnSense would?

br,

frosty

frosty_molotch

#4 Post by frosty_molotch »

And an update. I spoofed my laptops MAC-address and got an IP assigned so it's definitely some MAC throttling on the ISP-side. :cry: