Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to add menu in plank(Cinnamon DE)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
AbuBabu

How to add menu in plank(Cinnamon DE)

#1 Post by AbuBabu »

Hello everyone, I am interested is it possible to add default menu in plank in Cinnamon DE?
or is has to be only Xfce to be able to add Whisker Menu in Plank?
I only want plank dock without main taskbar, can I do that?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to add menu in plank(Cinnamon DE)

#2 Post by canci »

This was requested as a feature in Cinnamon, but apparently it won't be done.
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/5146

But it's from 2016... Not sure if it's still true.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

AbuBabu

#3 Post by AbuBabu »

Could you work with plank without taskbar? I see Linux groups users are using only plank without taskbar? Is it hard to do?

jmgibson1981

#4 Post by jmgibson1981 »

In XFCE I make the taskbar small and autohide and fully transparent. Then I just use my Plank for everything. I do keep the audio, network, and bluetooth stuff on that hidden taskbar just to keep things working correctly (volume buttons don't work without that audio thing in the taskbar) and they are easy to access if I need it but otherwise invisible. For anything I don't have on plank already I can open my menus with my right click on the desktop. If you can modify the taskbar in Cinnamon the same way then you got it.

I'm not sure one can remove the primary method of interacting with the DE without getting into the code directly. Goes for any DE really I'd imagine.

It's all about the illusions...