Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Access USB Stick on Router with Bullseye

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Pulverdampf

Access USB Stick on Router with Bullseye

#1 Post by Pulverdampf »

I have an ancient 386 Acer Aspire One, which was running Buster.

I upgraded Buster to Bullseye and the upgrade seemed to go OK.

I have a USB stick attached to my WIFI Router. I could access this using a file manager (Thunar or PCmanFM) with Buster. I'm afraid that I have only vague memories of setting that up, but I think that I set up a mount point for a Samba share etc.

Anyway, no matter what I do I can't seem to be able to get access with Bullseye. I've tried numerous things, but I don't seem to hit upon the magic formula.

The latest error message I get when trying to mount the drive is "Default SMB version has recently changed ...".

I would be grateful if someone could help and/or direct me to a "definitive" set of instructions to do this.

I'm a long, long way from being a Linux expert, so help aimed at a newbie would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Access USB Stick on Router with Bullseye

#2 Post by p.H »

Pulverdampf wrote: 2022-05-09 13:54 I have a USB stick attached to my WIFI Router. I could access this using a file manager (Thunar or PCmanFM) with Buster. I'm afraid that I have only vague memories of setting that up, but I think that I set up a mount point for a Samba share etc.
So you want to access a SMB network share, not a USB stick. I suggest you correct the title to get attention from people who know about SMB/samba (not me).
Pulverdampf wrote: 2022-05-09 13:54 The latest error message I get when trying to mount the drive is "Default SMB version has recently changed ...".
Please post the full commands and messages. Maybe the SMB version used by the router is considered obsolete in buster.

Pulverdampf

#3 Post by Pulverdampf »

I may have blundered into a possible solution:

This seems to work:

sudo mount.cifs //<IP Address>/<assigned name of USB stick on router>/ /<mount point>/ -o guest,vers=1.0,noperm

The mount fails unless "vers=1".

Can anyone explain that to me, as I'm very confused?

Can anyone see a problem with doing this, or have a better solution?

I now have to turn this into an addition for fstab, but I need to get some sleep.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Linux (and Windows) have dropped support for an older Samba protocol which was very insecure. Unfortunately some routers only use the old protocol. It is possible to re-enable the old protocol if you think there is no security risk - accessing a USB drive on a home network should be fine.

https://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.com/ ... eless.html

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Pulverdampf wrote: 2022-05-10 21:29 I may have blundered into a possible solution:

This seems to work:

sudo mount.cifs //<IP Address>/<assigned name of USB stick on router>/ /<mount point>/ -o guest,vers=1.0,noperm

The mount fails unless "vers=1".

Can anyone explain that to me, as I'm very confused?

Can anyone see a problem with doing this, or have a better solution?

I now have to turn this into an addition for fstab, but I need to get some sleep.
I suspect vers=1 is the old, deprecated Samba protocol, SMB1.

Pulverdampf

#6 Post by Pulverdampf »

Thanks for all your help. I guess that I'll have to live with using the old protocol, unless I can talk my ISP into giving me something better (I won't hold my breath).

For fstab, I ended up with:

//<IP Address>/<assigned name of USB stick on router>/ /<mount point>/ cifs guest,uid=1000,x-systemd.automount,vers=1.0,noperm 0 0

which was a lot more complicated than I'd hoped for.

Thanks again.