Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Powered Off PC (while in sleep mode) using the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub Welcome [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
NarriT4010

Powered Off PC (while in sleep mode) using the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub Welcome [SOLVED]

#1 Post by NarriT4010 »

Hello guys,
Only get to the boot loading screen and edit the "linux" command and add <init=/bin/bash> at the end.
After the boot by F10 from the where I edited the command there is still the same issue. A black screen with a signal to the monitor but that's all.
Kernel: 5.17.0-1-amd64
I think i still have some files on there that are not saved like my firefox history, I like to keep stuff like that. It's unfortunate.
I'm trying to use the recovery mode with the weekly non-free snapshot of the current version maybe that will get me an opportunity to fix something.
But if it happened before it would be nice to know what to do :)
Last edited by NarriT4010 on 2022-05-12 00:28, edited 3 times in total.

NarriT4010

Re: Powered Off PC with the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub

#2 Post by NarriT4010 »

The system seems to boot into sleeping mode lol.

NarriT4010

Re: Powered Off PC with the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub

#3 Post by NarriT4010 »

But I can't get rid of the blackscreen. rescue/enable=true ; init=/bin/bash ; boot with ctrl+x did not work. I have the live dvd on a usb stick working, is it possible for me to boot that and fix something on my hard drive ?

NarriT4010

Re: Powered Off PC (while in sleep mode) using the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub

#5 Post by NarriT4010 »

Okay I managed to get a shell from the recovery-mode in sda2 which you can select in the graphical guide from the intallation iso netinstall/dvd in debian testing bookworm (bullseye too ?). I can use vim and all that, my home stuff is there too. So I could maybe get the files I need if this won't work out.

NarriT4010

Re: Powered Off PC (while in sleep mode) using the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub

#6 Post by NarriT4010 »

The command to turn off the hibernation and that stuff worked with the desired output but it didn't fix it.

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

You get the output shown below:

hybrid-sleep.target
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sleep.target → /dev/null.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/suspend.target → /dev/null.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/hibernate.target → /dev/null.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/hybrid-sleep.target → /dev/null.

NarriT4010

Re: Powered Off PC (while in sleep mode) using the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub Welcome

#7 Post by NarriT4010 »

The journalctl puts out alot. Here is one line: Unknown Kernal command line parameters "BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.17.0-1amd64", will be passed to user space.

There are 306000 lines, i've not run it for some time, is that normal ?

NarriT4010

Re: Powered Off PC (while in sleep mode) using the Power Button then Blackscreen after Grub Welcome

#8 Post by NarriT4010 »

I installed the extension "caffeine" from the extensions gui or browser install I don't remember.

NarriT4010

#9 Post by NarriT4010 »

It might have been my monitor cable. Yea. But I think it was the brightness on the lowest level for some reason. We will never know.