Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Open GL / Intel 855GM / 32bit

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
SteveRoach

Open GL / Intel 855GM / 32bit

#1 Post by SteveRoach »

Hi Guys,

I recently scored an old 32bit Dell Inspiron laptop and want to run Stellarium on it. The Debian 11 build was fiddly but I finally got there. When I start the app, It pops up an error:

"Insufficient OpenGL version. Please update drivers, or graphics software." [Abort]

Checking with Stellaruim, the minimum requirement is: 3D graphics card which supports OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.3 or OpenGL ES 2.0

From lspci, the graphics card is: Intel Corp 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

I've read through a lot of forums looking for clues but can't find anything useful, sooo...

Will my hardware support the Open GL version required? If so, how do I install a library that will do the job?

TIA

Steve

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Open GL / Intel 855GM / 32bit

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check

Code: Select all

glxinfo -B
^ That will show the available OpenGL version. The command is supplied by the mesa-utils package.
deadbang

SteveRoach

#3 Post by SteveRoach »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback but I think the hardware is just not up to the job. I wanted to run Stellarium and / or use it as a remote terminal to desktop into my home rig. Nothing works much on 32bit any more and it was more trouble than it was worth.

I'll walk away from this but thanks for you help.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

>Nothing works much on 32bit any more

This has nothing to do with 32bit. Your video card just never got support beyond OpenGL 1.3.
See here:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources