Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Error Installing WPS Office

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
michaellanfield

Error Installing WPS Office

#1 Post by michaellanfield »

Hi. I am a newbie to Debian. Having issues with 2 things related to installing WPS Office. I know I can use libreoffice and openoffice, but there are reason why I enjoy WPS over the other two, which I won;t go into detail.

I download the official WPS Deb package for my Debian 11 Bullseye LXQt system, using both the gdebi and command line.

what I did.

1. I installed the WPS package on the website wps.com
2. I right clicked and installed with gdebi, and got an error software index is broken. I tried doing what they recommended without any solution,
3. So I tried command line option. I have the WPS deb file located on my desktop.
rms@hp-pavilion:~/Desktop$ sudo aptitude install wps-office_11.1.0.10976.XA_amd64.deb
and I get this error

Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "wps-office_11.1.0.10976.XA_amd64.deb"
Unable to apply some actions, aborting

What can I do to solve these 2 errors and install WPS on my system? I haven't found any solution online for my particular case. Thank you.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Error Installing WPS Office

#2 Post by sunrat »

Open a terminal in the directory containing the .deb then

Code: Select all

apt install ./wps-office_11.1.0.10976.XA_amd64.deb
If it gives that software index error again, do

Code: Select all

apt update
If that doesn't fix it, you have more serious issues. It would have helped to post exactly what message gdebi returned.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

michaellanfield

#3 Post by michaellanfield »

Thank you sunrat, will try that shortly when I get to my computer. I'll try to post the error message of gdebi, but wasn't able to select and copy the text. Maybe I'm able to submit a screenshot here?

michaellanfield

#4 Post by michaellanfield »

It seems like WPS installed correctly with that command line code that you gave me, and I really thank you for the help. But for some reason I wasn't able to replicate the error again with gdebi.

I just don't understand, with the command line code that I used to install WPS, why that didn't work, and gave me back an error message?
Last edited by michaellanfield on 2022-05-21 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

michaellanfield wrote: 2022-05-21 21:28I just don't understand, with the command line code that I used to install WPS, why that didn't work, and gave me back an error message?
The apt command requires the path to be specified for a local .deb install, either full path or "./" prefix to denote the current working directory. Otherwise it thinks you want to install from the repositories.
I guess aptitude is the same.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

michaellanfield

#6 Post by michaellanfield »

Thank you so much sunrat