Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Guide on how to setup a VPN server?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dannii

Guide on how to setup a VPN server?

#1 Post by dannii »

Hello! I've used the forum search but could not find any guide for Linux newbs on how to setup a VPN server.
I googled it, but all I did was find scripts to run that do not explain/teach the process, and also analysing the script file is too difficult for me, I simply cannot understand all the stuff that's going on.

Basically, I want to learn how to setup a VPN server on a Debian VM, in order to try and make my Dlink router authenticate through L2TP. Why? I have a crappy ISP that does not allow any WAN access to my network, hampering my ability to keep learning Zabbix tool (which is something I need for work). So I was suggested to create a VPN Tunnel with a router, thus providing my Zabbix server access to my LAN at home.

Thing is, Strongswan and xl2tpd are becoming a bit daunting without any support on how to walk through the configuration process. I've read the man pages, some internet guides, but most of these are focusing on setting up client-to-site connections to watch Netflix on other countries, etc. Not really the use I need, to connect my Zabbix server to my home LAN.

How can I achieve this? Is there any easy to read documentation you can point me to? I would like appreciate it!

reinob

Re: Guide on how to setup a VPN server?

#2 Post by reinob »

If you are free to choose a VPN implementation, I'd recommend Wireguard, as it's infinitely easier to implement than other solutions.

Check https://wiki.debian.org/SimplePrivateTu ... hWireGuard and read carefully.

Northpoint

Re: Guide on how to setup a VPN server?

#3 Post by Northpoint »

Nye over on github has a really good script for installing either openvpn or wireguard. This might make things easier/quicker for the OP. I have used it for one client that needed access to their work server from home.

https://github.com/Nyr/wireguard-install

Hope that helps.
Get your linux on.