Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

.goutputstream-*-the file that will not die-what is this thing?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
rolypolycat

.goutputstream-*-the file that will not die-what is this thing?

#1 Post by rolypolycat »

Hello!
In my Downloads folder, I seem to have picked up this file from somewhere:.goutputstream-7GJZN1. Clamav doesn't see it, changing the permissions is allowed but it still won't delete; I can't move it, rename it, or anything else. The error message I get says the file doesn't exist, and its only 1kb. Tap on it though, and it says its 862.2 kib.
I tried googling the name; found some comments on askubuntu from waay back that said its supposed to be a temp file that wasn't deleted. I tried the 2 codes they gave to delete the file-the code doesn't work.
So, is this file really that harmless still? Is there any way to delete it? I don't like weird hidden files on my computer, even if they are harmless, and I don't want to create new ones, so if anyone knows how to get rid of this thing, and stop new ones from appearing, I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

NorthEast

Re: .goutputstream-*-the file that will not die-what is this thing?

#2 Post by NorthEast »

A few things to try:

Code: Select all

stat <filename>
Then insert the inode number from the stat output:

find . -xdev -inum <inode-number> -exec rm {} \;
You could try:

unlink <filename>
or

cat /dev/zero >  <filename> && rm -f <filename>

rolypolycat

#3 Post by rolypolycat »

The last bit of code you gave me worked! It changed the file to "Unknown", then I deleted it. Thank you!

NorthEast

#4 Post by NorthEast »

Thanks for getting back on that. It's good to know what worked on that file.