Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need to install non-free but several obstacles are hindering me.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jazzeroo

Need to install non-free but several obstacles are hindering me.

#1 Post by jazzeroo »

So since the last time I was here I have installed Debian as my main OS but unfortunately it has been problematic.
When I ran it in a the WM I could choose from several resolutions now it is stuck on 400x800 I think it was. To try to fix this I reinstalled Debian and allow a few things I didn't the first time and used the xfce desktop environment instead of gnome but it didn't fix the problem.

From what I have been able to figure out my problem is probably the graphics drivers (amd ryzen 3) and since I don't know what firmware to install I thought that I should install a fresh version of Debian that includes the non-free firmware, but first I need to find a way to disable the cd-rom repositories to be able to run updates before I make a new installation media, this was easy in gnome but I can not find a way to do it in xfce, is it not possible to do in that desktop environment?

My third problem is that the non-free install has a number of options and I can not figure out which to use.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... ree/amd64/

I feel kind of stupid to come here and ask all of these questions but I have searched for solutions to all of these problems online but I haven't found the right ones.
If I cannot get Debian to work after this then maybe I should just accept that I don't have enough knowledge to use Debian properly and go for an easier to use distribution instead.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Need to install non-free but several obstacles are hindering me.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

jazzeroo wrote: 2022-06-19 16:24my problem is probably the graphics drivers (amd ryzen 3) and since I don't know what firmware to install
The Debian wiki has a page for AMD cards that shows which package you need. You can actually guess the name if you want some fun. It's a firmware package for amd graphics cards. Hint hint :mrgreen:
jazzeroo wrote: 2022-06-19 16:24I need to find a way to disable the cd-rom repositories

Code: Select all

apt edit-sources
apt update
jazzeroo wrote: 2022-06-19 16:24the non-free install has a number of options and I can not figure out which to use
The netinstall .torrent file is here.
deadbang

jazzeroo

#3 Post by jazzeroo »

Thank you cd-rom / update problem fixed!

So following what is written on that page (if I am able) and downloading those packages should work instead of re-installing the OS?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Probably.

"Ryzen 3" is rather vague though. Which generation is it?

Here's mine for reference:

Code: Select all

archie:~$ grep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo | uniq
model name	: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U with Radeon Graphics
archie:~$
If yours is one of the new 6000-series you may have problems.
deadbang

NarriT4010

#5 Post by NarriT4010 »

If you need to reinstall the OS maybe try the weekly build ?

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 4/iso-dvd/

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I don't think the OP should install testing. It's the least secure and most fragile version of Debian.
deadbang