Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

login error

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nikodavid

login error

#1 Post by nikodavid »

I try to log in and it says that the password is incorrect. I'm sure the password is correct, so it may be a keyboard configuration thing because my password contains special characters and numbers. Anyway, can you help me change the user password to be able to enter? I use Debian 11 with xfce

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: login error

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Come on, man. Google it first.

https://blog.eldernode.com/reset-forgot ... -password/

Then change the user password

Code: Select all

# passwd nikodavid
... or whatever your user name is.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

NorthEast

#3 Post by NorthEast »

Could be a login loop, which may, but may also not be resolvable by password change. I've experienced that. There were a few resolutions I've used in the past: reinstall the display manager which may be lightdm in the case of xfce; or replace the display manager with another e.g. sddm for lightdm; or change configs to avoid the display manager and boot to text prompt to start the GUI with startx or xinit with or without an .xinitrc file.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

nikodavid wrote: 2022-06-24 03:39 I try to log in and it says that the password is incorrect. I'm sure the password is correct,
What about the username ?
Is it a new installation or did it work before ?
nikodavid wrote: 2022-06-24 03:39 it may be a keyboard configuration thing
Type the password in the username field so that you can see it in cleartext.
nikodavid wrote: 2022-06-24 03:39 can you help me change the user password to be able to enter?
Boot in recovery mode or switch to a text console and log in as root. Then change the user password with

Code: Select all

passwd "username"
Didn't set a root password ? Bad choice.
NorthEast wrote: 2022-06-25 01:27 Could be a login loop
A login loop would not "say that the password is incorrect". It would try and fail to open the session and go back to the login screen.

NorthEast

#5 Post by NorthEast »

p.H wrote:
A login loop would not "say that the password is incorrect"
Thanks for that clarification.