Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian on Chromebook

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Marty Atherfold

Debian on Chromebook

#1 Post by Marty Atherfold »

I will attempt to be as specific as possible. I have a fairly new (still qualifies for updates) Acer 315 Chromebook with AMD A4 processor. Installed Debian 11 through Developer mode and went through the process of apt update, created a new password and installed Tasksel. So far so good. Now I have installed KDE, waited the 3/4 or so hours it takes to install. What I have now is an icon in my app drawer which is loaded with all kinds of apps. What I don't have is a clue where the KDE desktop is. I've been to all kinds of Google sites which talk about Ubuntu but nothing about how to get this desktop on Debian. Suggestions about various SUDO commands to use don't work and I can't find anywhere on my laptop to do with Linux settings. What am I missing here? All I have right now is Terminal.

bw123

Re: Debian on Chromebook

#2 Post by bw123 »

You usually start a session from a display manager, it's where you get a prompt for name/pw there might be a dropdown box or something, choose plasma session.

If you can't find it that way, try
crtl-alt-F2, login there
startx startplasma-x11
resigned by AI ChatGPT