Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What to do when login locks you out ?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
openZource

#1 Post by openZource »

Initialy had left a post here about a whole other subject.

Dude suggested "sudo dmesg" cli to see system.
Was that the kind of info i should not be posting publicly?
viewtopic.php?p=756962#p756962

Present-pass problem (because i finaly wiped pc):

Using a Debian based host for KVM vm's.
Day_1: vm_1 login impossible,locked out, not accepting password.
Day_2: vm_3 same problem
Day_3: Host no log same problem, login impossible, fully locked out of pc.

So i lost patience WIPED lost everything...

Who knows what happened..hella not me.
Local network intrusion? Some hacker douche or just my pc ???

Thanks

jmgibson1981

Re: What to do when login locks you out ?

#2 Post by jmgibson1981 »

I'd be curious to know your method for setting it all up. This is not something that just "happens." Sadly the first thing people jump to is being hacked or some nonsense. No offense to you personally but it usually turns out to be the user that screwed up. With the levels of relative security the average router has at this point they have to be very bored to bother getting into your lan, else they think you have national secrets. Even more unlikely as this sounds like it's your first Linux install and attempt at VMs and it's the only issue you seem to have thus far?

NorthEast

#3 Post by NorthEast »

It's not clear to me what sort of logins were happening.
Are the logins on console or through a display manager?
After entering a username is there an output saying something like "password incorrect", or does the screen return without comment?
There are different resolution attempts to try in different circumstances.
For example, if the "password incorrect" happens, the machine can be booted to single mode to try a change of password.
If the display manager just returns without any comment, it looks like a login loop which may be resolved by a re-install of the display manager, or change to a different one, or some attention to Xauthority.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

openZource wrote: 2022-08-11 23:37Dude suggested "sudo dmesg" cli to see system.
Was that the kind of info i should not be posting publicly?
Don't worry, dmesg output is fine to post. Harmful suggestions are usually picked up pretty quickly on (active) forums. Peer review ftw!

EDIT: for the problem in the title put "init=/bin/bash" into a search engine ;)

EDIT2: other shells are available :mrgreen:
deadbang

openZource

#5 Post by openZource »

Fixed
Thanks so much all of you, what a delight to be greeted with such kindness, haha my life was so hard at the moment i wrote the post. It had been an all nighter of grinching my teeth friends... & yes i must be...no AM a newbee freaking out about Hackers, silly keyboard slave me.

I came back to explain what i realized & fixed plus for these generous replies i owe you that respect, thanks again...

So re-installed a new Host, a Mint Debbie(debian base) knowing Mint has more options is super user friendly. When i got locked out again i fit the usb flash drive & somehow found options that led to repair/analyse Boot problem. The vm's/host had no more memory and this caused a login screen vs virgin install no login/direct desktop. Trashed all files i could to free space.

Final boot repair pop up description = "Locked-NV ram detected".

I have questions about your replies, but this is the endof another sleepless night, until next time 8)

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by Trihexagonal »

Try rebooting if it does it again.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.