Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Freezes

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Zylith

Debian Freezes

#1 Post by Zylith »

So I am newish to linux- Not a day one user or def not a pro. I am hoping for some help. I have moved my home server from my pi4 to a ryzen build that I had lying around. But for some reason it keeps freezing. For about 2 weeks I had a ubuntu server 22.04 installed and it was freezing almost every night so I switch to debian 11 with no desktop installed. and it keeps freezing. What would be the first steps to trouble shooting this? Journalctl doesn't so anything weird but again I don't really know what I am looking for. The only thing that stands out it this:

Aug 12 16:33:00 server systemd[3791]: systemd-exit.service: Succeeded.
Aug 12 16:33:00 server systemd[3791]: Finished Exit the Session.
Aug 12 16:33:00 server systemd[3791]: Reached target Exit the Session.
-- Boot ccc5bef292b24d47b834f6ca2b9fd431 --

Thanks for any advice. oh there was a firmware issue on boot but I got that to go away with with apt install firmware-realtek. I did just do that install today - Would that have caused my system to freeze?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian Freezes

#2 Post by sunrat »

Random freezing is often caused by flakey hardware. Check your RAM, check your PSU, unseat any cards in slots and clean the contacts. Check cables such as HD/SSD connections. Check temperatures - CPU thermal paste can lose effectiveness over time. Clean out dust etc. I have had most of these problems over the years.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Zylith

#3 Post by Zylith »

sunrat wrote: 2022-08-14 02:09 Random freezing is often caused by flakey hardware. Check your RAM, check your PSU, unseat any cards in slots and clean the contacts. Check cables such as HD/SSD connections. Check temperatures - CPU thermal paste can lose effectiveness over time. Clean out dust etc. I have had most of these problems over the years.
Thanks for the feed back Ill check the ram. I had to buy a new motherboard as I had the ryzen 5 cpu when I upgraded. I also bought a new psu as those were the only 2 things that i did not have. I am using a m.2 drive for the os so I don't think that would be a problem as I seated it well and screwed it in. and I have 2 hdd's for storage in raid 1 setup, mounted in fstab under the /media folder. I am using the cpu fan that came with the ryzen 7 on this system as I never installed it with my system because of aio I use. so the thermal paste is from the factory that was pre applied. and the temps look good to me.

sensors
radeon-pci-2900
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +39.0°C (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Composite: +46.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
(crit = +87.8°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
Tctl: +30.5°C
Tdie: +30.5°C
with ambient temps being 26.66 as we keep our house on the warm side lol too cheap to run the ac- lol how else can I afford to run my server 24/7 JK-

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Is the amd64-microcode package installed?
deadbang

Zylith

#5 Post by Zylith »

I have not installed it if it didn't already come preinstalled. So I will look into getting it installed. Thanks.
And also it froze again last night after reseating the ram and securing the hdd's

flashydolphin8827

#6 Post by flashydolphin8827 »

Zylith wrote: 2022-08-14 01:26 So I am newish to linux- Not a day one user or def not a pro. I am hoping for some help. I have moved my home server from my pi4 to a ryzen build that I had lying around. But for some reason it keeps freezing. For about 2 weeks I had a ubuntu server 22.04 installed and it was freezing almost every night so I switch to debian 11 with no desktop installed. and it keeps freezing. What would be the first steps to trouble shooting this? Journalctl doesn't so anything weird but again I don't really know what I am looking for. The only thing that stands out it this:

Aug 12 16:33:00 server systemd[3791]: systemd-exit.service: Succeeded.
Aug 12 16:33:00 server systemd[3791]: Finished Exit the Session.
Aug 12 16:33:00 server systemd[3791]: Reached target Exit the Session.
-- Boot ccc5bef292b24d47b834f6ca2b9fd431 --

Thanks for any advice. oh there was a firmware issue on boot but I got that to go away with with apt install firmware-realtek. I did just do that install today - Would that have caused my system to freeze?
It might also help others to help you by providing more detailed log files if at all possible.

It seems to me like there might be a flaw in the implementation of systemd however i may be wrong. I know that when I was a Linux first timer Iran int a similar issue with both my Radeon graphics processing unit as well as a ati radeon tv tuner card and once i removed the rv tuner card the freexes stopped. On the other hand later on in my moonlight period I seem to remember having a similar freeze up issue however this time it was in the early days of wayland.

Zylith

#7 Post by Zylith »

I am willing to provide whatever logs are requested. I really don't have a clue where to start for the troubleshooting. It's driving me crazy. It freezes about once a day. And of course it when I'm not home so I have to bother my wife to reboot it. I do have a old graphics card in there that I thought I needed to have with my ryzen cpu but I thought about Taking it out to see if that is the issue.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

Zylith wrote: 2022-08-18 00:18 I am willing to provide whatever logs are requested.
So you installed amd64-microcode and it still freezes?

journalctl is your friend for logs. For errors with the previous boot:

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -1 -p3
To include warnings use -p4 instead or just leave it out to see the entire journal (will be large).
For more info:

man journalctl
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Zylith

#9 Post by Zylith »

Zylith

#10 Post by Zylith »

Context. 192.168.1.14 is my pi that holds my VPN so I can ssh locally vs from. External port. It also holds my pihole for dns blocking.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

So you installed amd64-microcode and it still freezes? :!:

The paste is not useful as it's for current boot so not showing anything related to freeze. It's really hard to read, formatting seems to be screwed up a bit.
You may have to add yourself to systemd-journal group to get useful info.
As root or sudo:

adduser <yourusername> systemd-journal
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Zylith

#12 Post by Zylith »

https://pastebin.com/fLhjSUXD I did add the flag -r so that was the oldest is at the time and continued down.
at line 85 is when it stopped logging/ froze and I had my wife reboot it 19:43 and I think i got most of the boot up logs to see if there are errors when booting. The last pastebin was from a ssh session I got from my phone. Thanks again for taking the time to look over these- I can't tell you how much I appreciate yall looking at it.

Zylith

#13 Post by Zylith »

Do you think it would help to install a upgraded kernel. I'm running 5.10.0-17-amd64.
But according to apt-cache search linux-image
5.18 Is available. But there is also a bunch to choose from.

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try the linux-image-amd64 package from bullseye-backports.

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

EDIT: hold on, why is 5.18 available for you?

Please post

apt policy
If this is a FrankenDebian I won't be happy.
deadbang

Zylith

#15 Post by Zylith »

nope- just installed from debian download. As I was using this as my home server I wanted the most stable thing possible. I followed this site to update the kernel. https://www.linuxcapable.com/install-up ... -bullseye/
so after switching to unstable and apt upgrade it put me on 5.18 kernel and also updated amd64-microcode

here is the output from apt policy. https://pastebin.com/KARGPF0a

it did not freeze over night. But im really hoping i can get through the whole day with out issues.

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I am not happy. Ask the authors of that "guide" for help. I'm done here.
deadbang

Zylith

#17 Post by Zylith »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-08-18 14:14 I am not happy. Ask the authors of that "guide" for help. I'm done here.
hum o.k. Thanks for the help that you did contribute. The only reason I went to 5.18 was because it showed up in the apt-cache search linux-image- before I made any changes. So i quick google search later and Im on 5.18 from debian repo. Did I do something wrong?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by 4D696B65 »

Zylith wrote: 2022-08-18 14:24 Did I do something wrong?
The link you followed told you to mix unstable with stable.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Zylith

#19 Post by Zylith »

4D696B65 wrote: 2022-08-18 14:35
Zylith wrote: 2022-08-18 14:24 Did I do something wrong?
The link you followed told you to mix unstable with stable.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
welp -crap- I have change it back to the stable version and the only thing that got updated with that change was the kernel and the amd-micro thing, because of the pinned packages that was added. So hopefully I didn't break it because I really don't want to have to reinstall the os and have to set up all the programs again.

At this point should i just take the whole system to the unstable version and dist-upgrade so i don't have mixed packages?

edit: I have a uptime of 16 hours now - so I am thinking it was a out of date amd64-microcode or the kernel didn't like my hardware. either way Im taking this a win. Thank you all who helped figure this out. A bit of troubleshooting here and there and im well on my way to have a rock solid build- even though i went around upgrading the kernel the wrong way. Im going to have to look into the correct way for next time. Thanks again everyone.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#20 Post by 4D696B65 »

Zylith wrote: 2022-08-18 15:05 A bit of troubleshooting here and there and im well on my way to have a rock solid build- even though i went around upgrading the kernel the wrong way. Im going to have to look into the correct way for next time. Thanks again everyone.
Backports can be your friend. :D

https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
https://backports.debian.org/