Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia drivers cause nuc 11 running debian to not boot

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Markloper

nvidia drivers cause nuc 11 running debian to not boot

#1 Post by Markloper »

Hello everyone, I am new here. If i have posted this in the wrong location or am missing information, please bear with me.

Heres my Situation:

At my job, We are trying to figure out how to get debian to pick up the graphics care of a we have. Its a nuc 11 hooked up to an external nvidia graphics card via a thunderbolt 3 connection on the back. The GPU is attached to an adapter that allows the gpu to be plugged in, and used as the primary output device. The issue im running into is that when i install debian, I have crappy graphics (800x600 4:3 to be specific) on a 50 inch samsung capable of 4k. Im NOT a linux pro, but i know my way around, ive attempted to install nvidia drivers, when i do, the device reboots but does not load up a desktop. I am able to ctrl+alt+ (f2 f3 f4 f5 f6), but no desktop. Ive tried updating the kernel, and various other methods.

I have been researching this for days, scouring every website for an answer, to no avail. Ive even been on this site a couple times trying to figure this out.

If anyone could help or even point me in the right direction, id greatly appreciate it.

If you need anymore information, please let me know.

Below are my specs:

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC
Nuc 11 11th gen i5
16gb ram
installed debian 11.5 as of this morning (9/14)

Segfault

Re: nvidia drivers cause nuc 11 running debian to not boot

#2 Post by Segfault »

The two sources of information are the kernel log (dmesg) and Xorg log - don't know much about Wayland.

Markloper

#3 Post by Markloper »

Segfault wrote: 2022-09-14 17:02 The two sources of information are the kernel log (dmesg) and Xorg log - don't know much about Wayland.
Hi, THanks for the response. Are those documents where i should be looking? does something need to be edited in them? Im able to get into other desktops, so im not currently restricted to wayland.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

Markloper

#5 Post by Markloper »

arzgi wrote: 2022-09-15 14:26 Maybe this gives some help: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
ive been all over this page, to no avail. To give you a little more info, Ive been troubleshooting, and narrowed the issue down to the actual adt-link to nvme. im also using an external gpu and ive seen that linux doesnt have the best compatibility when it comes to egpus. Ubuntu works FLAWLESSLY though, install the driver, reboot, no problem. Debian on the other hand, after that nvidia driver install, all i see is terminal.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

What's the graphics chipset and driver being used before you add the external GPU and drivers?

And what is the working Ubuntu reporting with the above additions?

Some say they don't like using the inxi reporting tool to get that info, but at least it's quick and concise.
MX Linux packager and developer

Segfault

#7 Post by Segfault »

dmesg shows if kernel module loads, Xorg log shows what went wrong. But wait, didn't I say it before?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

Did you install firmware-misc-nonfree?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Markloper

#9 Post by Markloper »

stevepusser wrote: 2022-09-15 23:44 What's the graphics chipset and driver being used before you add the external GPU and drivers?

And what is the working Ubuntu reporting with the above additions?

Some say they don't like using the inxi reporting tool to get that info, but at least it's quick and concise.
HI, SOrry for the late response. i didnt even know i got more replies.

To answer your questions:

Graphic chipset- Tigerlake-LP GT2 (iris XE Graphics).
Driver- I assume this is the noveau driver, nothing else is installed before i install nvidia.

Ubuntu picks up the drivers and GPU all on its own. from the second i put in the USB to install, its already high resolution. Using the exact same computer and GPU.

Markloper

#10 Post by Markloper »

Segfault wrote: 2022-09-15 23:58 dmesg shows if kernel module loads, Xorg log shows what went wrong. But wait, didn't I say it before?
yeah you did. I asked if i should check those out and it doesnt look like you replied to me (unless i missed it). Remember im not a linux pro, so i dont fully understand some of the things you say. should i run dmesg and report back? ALso after doing some digging, it doesnt look like i even have an xorg file :?

Markloper

#11 Post by Markloper »

sunrat wrote: 2022-09-16 03:07 Did you install firmware-misc-nonfree?
im pretty sure i did. Correct me if im wrong, But i downloaded the latest image from the official debian site. I remember adding the misc and non free sources as well.

Segfault

#12 Post by Segfault »

Yes, use dmesg as command to read it in a terminal, Shift+PgUp to scroll back in buffer. Or pipe it to your pager 'dmesg | less', or 'pastebinit -b dpaste.com /var/log/dmesg' to load it up and give others the link it returns.
Xorg.0.log is located in /var/log (surprised?), or in ~/.local/share/xorg/ in case you run rootless Xorg.