Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Package downgrade from backports to stable

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Package downgrade from backports to stable

#21 Post by sunrat »

wonder wrote: 2022-09-21 14:50 But it suits me, you installed through backports and then with apt you were updated, to the version that is in backports?
I think if you have a package from backports it will update from backports. But if you have a package from default repo it will not update to a higher version from backports (if backports repo is active) unless you do it manually.
You should read up on apt preferences and pinning to understand more. The primary repo has a default priority of 500, whereas backports has 100. You can check repo priorities on your system with the command:

Code: Select all

apt policy
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

wonder

Re: Package downgrade from backports to stable

#22 Post by wonder »

That's right, to install from backports it must be installed from backports, but my question was, then when there is an update, it takes it from backports? I understand that yes, from what you tell me.

The rest is correct, I have the priorities as you comment and I am aware (thanks to this forum) that everything is installed from the default ones, unless you install something manually from backports, but the previous thread led me to that doubt, manually installed from backports, then when there is update in backports, it is updated from there? I saw yes.
Thank you!!