Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Package downgrade from backports to stable

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
wonder

Package downgrade from backports to stable

#1 Post by wonder »

Aggg, sorry, these are questions that make me feel really silly...
I've been using Debian stable recently (I've been coming from derivatives for years), I installed libreoffice from the backports channel and... I think stable is better.
I have searched for information on the internet, and what appears is that I do a:
sudo apt install libreoffice/stable
I do it, but it generates an error and does not downgrade me.
Do I completely remove libreoffice and install it again or do you know if there is another possibility?

Sorry for this question.

Thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Package downgrade from backports to stable

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

wonder wrote: 2022-09-18 19:36 sudo apt install libreoffice/stable
I do it, but it generates an error and does not downgrade me
Try

Code: Select all

aptitude install libreoffice=1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3
Keep saying "yes" when it asks until it finds the way.

If it can't find a way then post the full output of

Mentioning an error without actually posting it is very frustrating for those who are trying to help.
deadbang

wonder

#3 Post by wonder »

Thanks for your help.
Excuse me, absolutely right, indicate I have a problem/error, but not indicate which one....sorry.

To the first command, I said Yes but it has not made any changes, this is the result with konsole: (I use translator to put it in English, my native and system language is Spanish):

~$ su
Password:
root@PC-Ariadna:/home/ariadna# aptitude install libreoffice=1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libreoffice{b}
0 updated packages, 0 new installed, 1 outdated, 0 to remove and 14 not updated.
I need to download 206 kB of files. After unpacking 4,096 B will be released.
The dependencies of the following packages are not satisfied:
 libreoffice : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3) but 1:7.4.1~rc1-3~bpo11+1 is installed and it is kept back
The following actions will resolve these dependencies

Keep the following packages at the current version:
1) libreoffice [1:7.4.1~rc1-3~bpo11+1 (now)]

Do you accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]y
No packages will be installed, updated or removed.
0 updated packages, 0 new installed, 0 to remove and 15 not updated.
I need to download 0 B of files. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Current state: 15 (+1) upgradeable.
When use sudo apt install libreoffice/stable, this is the exit:

Reading package list... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading status information... Done
Selected version "1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3" (Debian:11.5/stable [amd64]) for "libreoffice"
Do not can instal some pack. This may mean that
you asked for an impossible situation or, if you are using the distribution
unstable, that some required packages have not yet been created or are
have taken from «Incoming».
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libreoffice : Depends: libreoffice-base but won't install
               Depends: libreoffice-calc but it won't install
               Depends: libreoffice-writer but it won't install
               Depends: python3-uno (>= 4.4.0~beta2) but it won't install
               Recommends: libreoffice-nlpsolver but it won't install
               Recommends: libreoffice-script-provider-python but it won't install
 libreoffice-common : Breaks: libreoffice-core (< 1:7.4~) but 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3 will be installed
                      Recommend: python3-uno (>= 4.4.0~beta2) but it won't install
 libreoffice-draw : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:7.4.1~rc1-3~bpo11+1) but 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3 will be installed
 libreoffice-impress : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:7.4.1~rc1-3~bpo11+1) but 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3 will be installed
 libreoffice-math : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:7.4.1~rc1-3~bpo11+1) but 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3 will be installed
 libreoffice-report-builder-bin : Depends: libreoffice-base but will not install
 ure : Breaks: libreoffice-core (< 1:7.4.0~) but 1:7.0.4-4+deb11u3 will be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve caused breaks, this may be due to held packages.
Again, thanks and regards.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

In aptitude you actually have to keep saying no until it offers an acceptable solution. Sometimes it won't find one but often it will.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

wonder

#5 Post by wonder »

I've had to run aptitude a couple of times to find a solution that, at least I thought, would work.
Now it looks like I have the correct libreoffice version installed but....if I select any libreoffice component to start, it doesn't start, and I get the kde warning that soffice couldn't run (restart application or send report).
So libreoffice doesn't start for me.
In synpatic I see some component with backport version as it is:

libreoffice-sdbc-firebord
libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql
libreoffice-report-builder-bin
libuno-sal3
libreoffice-report-builder

I think it was not a good idea to install libreoffice from backport, I can reinstall it from there and wait for a new stable one to come out and have it install from the stable one.
By the way, if I run sudo apt install libreoffice/stable it tells me that it is already installed.

Thanks.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

There won't be a new stable version until there is a new stable.

Maybe try aptitude in the ncurses interface (just type 'aptitude') and go through the libre-office packages and dependencies and make sure you have downgraded them all.

Worth noting that, in general, package downgrades are not a supported operation - all attention goes to ensure packages can upgrade cleanly from previous versions.
In most cases it works, but in scenario's where there are incompatible config changes, then manual intervention may be required for problematic downgrades.

Also to get english output to post, you can use:

LANG=C; command ...
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

If libre-offiice is the only program you have downloaded from backports. I'd try

sudo apt purge libre-office* && sudo apt autoremove
Then remove bakcports from your sources.list.

Reboot, if works, install libreoffice. Have not tested, never needed backports.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Okay OP, sorry about the error in my last post. When I told you to say "yes" I obviously meant "no" instead :mrgreen:

Let's try this

apt install -t stable libreoffice{,-{sbdc-{firebord,postgresql},report-builder{,-bin}}} libuno-sal3
deadbang

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by Hallvor »

The easiest route would be removing Libreoffice entirely and then install it from main again.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yeah but that's too easy d00d. Challenges are fun!
deadbang

arzgi

#11 Post by arzgi »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-09-19 09:59 Yeah but that's too easy d00d. Challenges are fun!
Beginners Questions.... :mrgreen:

wonder

#12 Post by wonder »

First of all, thank you all for your answers and help.
That's right, I put it in beginner questions because....I'm really a beginner in debian, I thought that the years I've been in derivatives would be of some use but....I think they are of little use, I thought they would be of more use..., xD .

Nothing to apologize for, @Head_on_A_Stick, on top of that you help me... :)

Yes, I thought of a complete purge of libreofficce and installing it again, but that's the "easy" way, we're here to learn...

As soon as I finish working, I'll try the last mentioned.

Again, you don't know how much I appreciate and what quality of people and forum... :)

I should have come to debian years ago!!! :)

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by Hallvor »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-09-19 09:59 Yeah but that's too easy d00d. Challenges are fun!
I tried downgrading an install from Bullseye to Buster, but didn't quite make it. (Apt-pinning and removing anything but the base system before downgrading.) No cigar.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

wonder

#14 Post by wonder »

Finally, I couldn't downgrade without errors, maybe because the first aptitude I ran I did wrongly...
I needed libreoffice, so I purged *libreoffice* and that worked, then I was able to install libreoffice from stable successfully.

But there is something that caught my attention, to test, I mounted debian in a virtual one, just installed debian, with the same sources.list as mine, it has libreoffice installed, but if you go to synaptics and search for it, libreoffice does not appear installed , is when I mark it there to install, for example, the translation into my language and libreoffice-kde when I install the rest of the libreoffice components in the stable version (the one that appears in synaptics), that caught my attention...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

The package libreoffice is a metapackage which merely installs other packages as dependencies. It is not specifically needed if you don't want all of its dependencies. eg. I only want Writer so I install the package libreoffice-writer.
To see more about it:

apt show libreoffice
and to see all available packages containing the name libreoffice:

apt list *libreoffice*
I rarely use Synaptic. Once you know apt commands it's easier and more informative than Synaptic, although Synaptic can perform most package management tasks. One thing that really annoys me is Synaptic requires root permissions to do anything, whereas apt will function happily as normal user except for actions which make changes to the system.
KDE Discover is similar. It will do most things as user, but I consider it to be the pretty but dumb sibling in the package management family. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

wonder

#16 Post by wonder »

I won't get tired of saying it, I should have come to debian years ago...thanks for such detailed answers and help to learn, that's what it's all about.

Thanks for the explanation, but it caught my attention that libreoffice as such, only libreoffice (seeing in synaptic) was not installed, which for me is the core (or I thought it was the core of libreoffice).
libreoffice-writer for example, if it was installed, but libreoffice (just the word libreoffice) wasn't, that's what caught my attention.

As I use KDE when I select libreoffice-kde, the translation to my language, and yes, it automatically selected libreoffice and many other components.

The use of synpatic on my part is... custom, perhaps bad habit, that's why I'm here... years in derivatives and it's been here that I've really used aptitude as it should be used!!

My first used distro had synaptic and... I got used to it, not to install, which I do sometimes, but I see what dependencies it needs or other packages, I mainly use it for that. As you say, you need a password as soon as you open it, otherwise, it doesn't do anything :)

And as you say, KDE Discover is similar, but this one, if I don't use it at all, or almost at all. In the current version it's still going well but... in future versions (of the derivative that I come from Kde already has more up-to-date) Discover, if you want to open preferences, it doesn't work... hehehe.

I reiterate my thanks, I had to come to debian a long time ago... :)

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by canci »

BTW, LibreOffice updates from backports were kept back for me for a day or so, but then it updated normally when I ran apt again. Not sure if you had the same error but wanted to let you know in case you had the same thing.

Usually, Backports have the latest version 2 weeks later or so, that's why I just keep updating from there and don't think about it.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

wonder

#18 Post by wonder »

If I understand correctly, you installed libreoffice through backports, and then, with apt, it was updated (but here my doubt, to the backport or stable version?).

My case was different, I installed through backports, I use two monitors and there was a small problem (the same thing happened in my previous derivative that I used) so I wanted to go back to the stable version of debian, and that's when I had the aforementioned problems.

I will open another thread because, as a result of the complete uninstallation of libreoffice, I saw something that happens to me if I want to uninstall konqueror, but since it is another topic, I will open it in another thread.

Thanks and regards.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by canci »

Ah sorry. I misunderstood.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

wonder

#20 Post by wonder »

But it suits me, you installed through backports and then with apt you were updated, to the version that is in backports?