Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nok devices shown in filel manager

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Elderwuss

Nok devices shown in filel manager

#1 Post by Elderwuss »

There seems to be a mismatch between the actual File Manager
and it's description. I can find no way to see anything that shows
when I insert or remove a usb.

bin

Re: Nok devices shown in filel manager

#2 Post by bin »

Without any information about which version of Debian you're on, which DE, what filesystem is on the USB key..... it's a little hard to provide any concrete ideas.
However, I suggest you use Synaptic to contrib and non-free to your sources. Open Synaptic>Settings>Repositories
Locate the active Debian entry and add 'contrib non-free' to the Sections line after the word 'main' and save that.
Then search for and select>
exfatfuse
fuse2fs
fuseiso
gphotofs
gvfs
gvfs-backends
gvfs-fuse
gvfs-libs
jmtpfs
Some of these will be selected as dependencies or recommends anyway.

If you're using XFCE open File Manager and go to Preferences>Advanced>Configure Volume Management and on Storage make sure the top 3 boxes are checked. If not XFCE then you'll need to do some research on the equivalents.

After installing that lot, reboot.

Insert the USB key - if nothing auto pops up, navigate to /media and see if there's anything in there as that is where it should be mounted.

If nothing then open Terminal and enter sudo dmesg. At the bottom there should be some stuff mentioning USB - e.g.

Code: Select all

[ 2119.002193] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0781, idProduct=5567, bcdDevice= 1.00
[ 2119.002199] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 2119.002202] usb 2-1: Product:  SanDisk 3.2Gen1
[ 2119.002205] usb 2-1: Manufacturer:  USB
lsusb will also give some information e.g.

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade
for the above key.