Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

path

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Dragonfish

path

#1 Post by Dragonfish »

Where do I check out / change PATH settings.
Cecked out...
-
/etc/bash.bashrc

/etc/bash_completion

No luck ???

I want to know the path changes made by a postgresql installation.

Thanks
dragonfish

Telemachus

Re: path

#2 Post by Telemachus »

The initial setting is in /etc/profile. You can also make changes in $HOME/.bashrc or other login files. In general an installation shouldn't change your $PATH itself, I wouldn't think.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Dragonfish

#3 Post by Dragonfish »

Thanks - got it - but no path entry, so I don't know how I am able to login to the database from any directory - but I'll put that question in a separate thread - again - thanks - Dragonfish

smallchange

#4 Post by smallchange »

I think what you are looking for is that psql is in /usr/bin, which is in your path by default.

Telemachus

#5 Post by Telemachus »

smallchange wrote:I think what you are looking for is that psql is in /usr/bin, which is in your path by default.
Agreed.

@Dragonfish If smallchange is right, you're confusing a program in your $PATH with your $PATH itself. (Maybe a tutorial you followed mentioned having to add something to your $PATH?)

Type which psql, and (assuming you have postgres properly installed, you should see it.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Ahtiga Saraz

How-to check your PATH

#6 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

You should be able to check your PATH using

Code: Select all

printenv PATH
Your ordinary user may for example have

Code: Select all

/home/username/bin
as the first possible path. That won't work for the root user so scripts need to have at least two cases. I ran into this earlier today when I made a foolish change in /etc/pam.d/common-session and prevented root user from accessing /sbin and /usr/sbin! (Fortunately fixed when I undid the change.) This is probably only something one should consider if configuring a server on a large system with many users. On a home system it is probably better to just change the .bashrc of the ordinary user.
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!

Dragonfish

#7 Post by Dragonfish »

Thanks everybody for taking an interest - much appreciated

Dragonfish