Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

why does usb not automount my 1 terabyte backup drive?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
lizbeth

why does usb not automount my 1 terabyte backup drive?

#1 Post by lizbeth »

i am annoyed that I would have to be root to mount a drive on a usb port. Talk about ridiculous. Someone help me get over this ridiculous nonsense.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop, AMD A6-3420M Quad-Core CPU, AMD Radeon 6520G On Chip HD GPU, Toshiba 500 Gig HD, 6 gigs Ram

Linux Mint Debian Sid, Liquorix 3.6 Kernel, Cinnamon 1.6.4 Desktop

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: why does usb not automount my 1 terabyte backup drive?

#2 Post by kiyop »

Do you use desktop environment, such as Gnome, KDE, XFCE?
You haven't written the informaion on the partition which you want to mount in /etc/fstab, have you?
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

lizbeth

#3 Post by lizbeth »

gnome... i get an error message about not being privileged... nonsense i say...
Toshiba Satellite Laptop, AMD A6-3420M Quad-Core CPU, AMD Radeon 6520G On Chip HD GPU, Toshiba 500 Gig HD, 6 gigs Ram

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#4 Post by kiyop »

I do not use Gnome now. I use xorg and openbox. Maybe there is a way to enable what you want, although I am not sure.
Wait for reply from the guy using Gnome.
Do you want the partition mounted at the boot time, or do you want to mount it as you like?
If you want the partition mounted at the boot time, write in /etc/fstab.

When I used Gnome long time ago (maybe 1 year ago), I could mount partitions on USB media only by clicking the partition name on the list in "Places" on the panel. Did you configure Gnome wrongly?

lizbeth

#5 Post by lizbeth »

Did you not read the title.. it says automount on usb....

confuseling

#6 Post by confuseling »

lizbeth wrote:Did you not read the title.. it says automount on usb....
Don't be snipey when someone is trying to help. Particularly if what they're saying makes perfect sense - automount at boot and automount when hotplugged are not the same thing.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

kiyop

#7 Post by kiyop »

lizbeth wrote:Did you not read the title.. it says automount on usb....
Do you want to make a certain partition of an USB media auto-mounted at boot time?
Or, do you want to make all the partitions of an USB media mounted automatically when you plug the USB media to your PC?
As for me, I hate auto-mounting at the time when some USB media is plugged. I want to control the mounting. I want to determine whether the partitions in the plugged USB media should be mounted or not.

I am not familiar with Gnome, but gnome-mount may deal auto-mount. A command "udisks" may relate to automatic mount.
But... I will stop disturbing you because you may think I am an idiot. ;) There is a wise saying "Never argue with an idiot".
Good luck!

otegotrician

#8 Post by otegotrician »

Back just in time! It sounds like lisbeth is some old crinkly, wrinkly granny. Be nice to her since she's probably stressed out cooking for Thanksgiving.

Code: Select all

UUID=f1e42d5e-ab77-4c1d-bacd-c9647b3f2428     /media/disk1part1    ext4         auto,users,rw,exec,relatime                   0    0   
UUID=e306cf98-d135-470d-ba45-2f226c71147b     /media/disk2part1    ext4         auto,users,rw,exec,relatime                   0    0   
UUID=08785047-a76f-4cbf-9af4-85e6f7f35c6a     /                    ext4         defaults,relatime,errors=remount-ro           0    1   
UUID=ad581ebe-6af4-4288-8747-eea31bd32921     /media/disk2part3    ext4         auto,users,rw,exec,relatime                   0    0   
UUID=b1514e9a-28c0-48bc-a3b8-fd69c6ca1ca9     /media/disk2part4    ext4         auto,users,rw,exec,relatime                   0    0   
UUID=d2abab2c-a190-45c0-89c9-d47754911230     /media/disk3part1    ext4         auto,users,rw,exec,relatime                   0    0   
Two of those are TB USB drives. Mounts first time every time on boot without intervention from my arthritic fingers. Sorry about the idiots on this forum. They don't understand us "old people".
Warning, failure messages in Linux are lies!...................If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

Haha good one otegotrician. Mount my drive and get off my lawn! :)

But seriously, we need more info to help you, lisbeth. What version of Debian, what desktop environment and what filesystem and permissions are on the USB drive.
I don't use Gnome either, but in KDE you get a popup asking what you want to do. If you select "Open in File Manager" it opens it in Dolphin, providing the permissions on the drive allow you to mount it as user. You can also mount/open it from Dolphin's places bar. I suspect Gnome is the same. If you want it to be plugged in and just mounted, you need correct permissions on the drive, and on the mountpoint, and put an entry in fstab.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

lizbeth

#10 Post by lizbeth »

Debian wheezy. Yes i get an error about permissions. I don't need permissions in lmde. I just plug it in and it mounts. It's ntfs so i can share the drive with other computers.

bw123

#11 Post by bw123 »

lizbeth wrote:i am annoyed that I would have to be root to mount a drive on a usb port. Talk about ridiculous. Someone help me get over this ridiculous nonsense.
funny thread, gave me deja vu again
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

lizbeth

#13 Post by lizbeth »

Thank you!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

lizbeth wrote:Thank you!
So is it working now? Please tell us what you did and mark the thread solved so it may help someone else in future.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!