custom kernel can't boot to init 3

Kernels, Network, and Services configuration
manmath

custom kernel can't boot to init 3

#1 Post by manmath »

Hi All, with my custom build kernel I can't boot into init 3 (text console) though there's no problem booting into plasma desktop. Does framebuffer config have anything to do with it? Here's config file lines about framebuffer:

# Frame buffer Devices
#
CONFIG_FB_CMDLINE=y
# CONFIG_FB is not set
# end of Frame buffer Devices

wizard10000

Re: custom kernel can't boot to init 3

#2 Post by wizard10000 »

Unless you've customized the runlevel there's no difference between runlevels 2-5 in Debian.

https://wiki.debian.org/RunLevel
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

NorthEast

#3 Post by NorthEast »

There's not a lot of info from OP, but these observations may be of interest.
A display manager needs to be enabled to boot into graphical, so you presumably are running one. Systemd can bypass it by making the default target: multi-user.target instead of graphical.target. That can be set thus:

Code: Select all

systemctl set-default multi-user.target
These commands show systemd settings on a machine that boots into a text prompt though a graphical display manager is installed:

Code: Select all

[tom@deb ~] $ systemctl show default.target |grep -e Id -e Names
Id=multi-user.target
Names=multi-user.target default.target runlevel4.target runlevel3.target runlevel2.target

[tom@deb ~] $ systemctl status default.target
● multi-user.target - Multi-User System
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target; indirect; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active since Wed 2022-06-22 07:53:51 AEST; 1h 30min ago
      Until: Wed 2022-06-22 07:53:51 AEST; 1h 30min ago
       Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
Jun 22 07:53:51 owl systemd[1]: Reached target Multi-User System.

[tom@deb ~]$ systemctl status graphical.target
○ graphical.target - Graphical Interface
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target; static)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
As for the kernel config # CONFIG_FB is not set, all kernels on the machine here that boots to text actually have: CONFIG_FB=y.
I think that without the framebuffer config, the bootup text would just be in the default 80x25 text character by line display, but I speculate that booting would not be affected.

Another means of booting to text prompt which used to work was adding a 3 to the end of the kernel parameters. That's doable by writing it to the "linux ..." line by hitting e when the grub menu appears, navigating down to the linux line, adding the 3 after a space and hitting cntl+x to boot. If that works it can be made permanent by adding it in /etc/default/grub and running update-grub.

manmath

#4 Post by manmath »

Yeah, thanks for your suggestion. I can boot into "init 3" with "vga=normal nomodeset" option in the kernel line, but the resulting console is of very low resolution. Any other options land me on a blank screen.
Last edited by manmath on 2022-06-22 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

NorthEast

#5 Post by NorthEast »

Debian uses a framebuffer to increase the resolution of the console while still showing only the text console. It's the framebuffer that's going to allow for a higher resolution and smaller characters in the text console. The console font can be configured in /etc/default/console-setup. So if you want to have more options for console fonts, you might have to consider enabling the framebuffer. In the olden days one could use: vga=ask as a kernel parameter to get a list of resolutions available, so you could look into that possibility which depends on the VGA/VESA resolutions, but I believe it's been deprecated in debian for some time.

manmath

#6 Post by manmath »

"vga=ask" also leads to a blank terminal. well, let me manage with "vga=normal nomodeset" option, maybe I'll get used to after some days.

p.H

#7 Post by p.H »

Blank screen does not mean that the kernel cannot boot.
High resolution console with KMS requires the framebuffer.
wizard10000 wrote: 2022-06-21 14:03 Unless you've customized the runlevel there's no difference between runlevels 2-5 in Debian.
This information is obsolete with systemd : runlevels 2-4 are multi-user.target (text), runlevel 5 is graphical.target.

manmath

#8 Post by manmath »

Thanks! I recompiled the kernel with framebuffer, and it's all good now.

wizard10000

#9 Post by wizard10000 »

p.H wrote: 2022-06-25 06:59This information is obsolete with systemd : runlevels 2-4 are multi-user.target (text), runlevel 5 is graphical.target.
Old habits die hard :)

cheers -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin