Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Best (?) Container

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
graemev2

Best (?) Container

#1 Post by graemev2 »

I have a small server where I need to run some "non standard" services (e.g. Unifi ...so commercial) in order to keep my Debian install "clean"I plan to do so in a Container.

In the past (for a commercial company) I used Docker. I see now that is involved in all sorts of "political/financial" stuff and in any case was never FOSS.

Now I could do this "from scratch" using LXC (LXD?) but I'm not trying to make my life hard and build from scratch (there are, for example, Docker images for Unifi) and I can see there are all sorts of "Better Docker than Docker" solutions around but as far as I can see none actually ship with Debian .

So (and this is definitely "stirring up a hornet's nest") which is "best", defining best as:
  1. : Easy to use with Docker images
  2. : Either in Debian repos, or so close that it might be one day soon

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Best (?) Container

#2 Post by CwF »

Why not a full VM?

jmgibson1981

#3 Post by jmgibson1981 »

LXC and KVM virtual machines are the most likely options. You might be able to run these given services in a chroot I suppose as well.

Forgive me noticing the irony though that you need to run
"non standard" services (e.g. Unifi ...so commercial)
and yet
I used Docker. I see now that is involved in all sorts of "political/financial" stuff and in any case was never FOSS.
is a problem for you. To each their own I guess.

graemev2

#4 Post by graemev2 »

Just overhead and lots of duplication, e.g. I really don't need another kernel and another set of kernel updates etc.
I use VMs on my dev box, but there I really care about the OS including differing kernel versions. Here is just a single app, so cgroup type protection is good enough.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

graemev2

#6 Post by graemev2 »

@ jmgibson1981

I thought I'd made the distinction clear?

When I did a paid job for a commercial firm I used Docker , who pays the piper and all that.

On MY Debian box I try NOT to run "Restricted/Commercial" software.
For Unifi , in order to use their hardware I need to use their software (not my call) but if I have to, then I'd like to keep it in a container, since it's not open and I really have no idea what it's trying to do.

Now I can just make my own containers using LXC/LXD but that's a lot of work , especially as there are already pre-built containers (using the Docker format) that many Container technologies can use (e.g .. portainer on podman ) but if I use something 'closed' I'm back at square 1, so best would be something already in Debian Repos that can use Docker images , failing that something which might soon be in Repos ..i.e. they FOSS but not yet meeting all the Debian rules.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Docker is open source btw. Not sure why you think it isn't.
deadbang

graemev2

#8 Post by graemev2 »

Things like:
https://www.docker.com/pricing/

and
https://itsfoss.com/mirantis-docker-acquisition/

That said you may be right but you can see why I steer clear (if possible).

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

graemev2 wrote: 2022-08-17 16:38 On MY Debian box I try NOT to run "Restricted/Commercial" software.
For Unifi , in order to use their hardware I need to use their software (not my call) but if I have to, then I'd like to keep it in a container, since it's not open and I really have no idea what it's trying to do.
Get serious, KVM.
If it's worth doing...