Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disable Wireless at Startup

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
DEpurpnijM

Disable Wireless at Startup

#1 Post by DEpurpnijM »

Hi there!

I've been using Debian since the early days of Lenny being testing as OS on the same Computer. Its a Acer Aspire Notebook with switches for wireless and bluetooth. While booting Lenny my wireless and bluetooth stayed off as long as I didn't switch them on. But since squeeze they get activated ( you can see it by looking at the LED's ) the moment after the grub screen. I now do have to turn bluetooth and wireless off by hand everytime which is quite annoying since I mostly use eth0.

I'm sure there is a pretty straight forward way to change this settings. Can someone tell me how to disable bluetooth and wireless per default in a way I can simply turn them back on by using the switch?

Thanks!

aspnair

Re: Disable Wireless at Startup

#2 Post by aspnair »

Find out the modules and blacklist them in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Or, in case you really dont want them, disable from the bios.
Compressed Air Energy Storage, Entropy and Efficiency
http://saurorja.org/2012/06/18/compress ... fficiency/

drokmed

#3 Post by drokmed »

I disabled mine in the bios.

My laptop dual boots between linux and windows, and I don't use wireless in either case, so easier to disable in bios. If I ever need it for some reason i.e. take my laptop somewhere that only has wireless, I can simply re-enable in bios, and laptop should auto-detect new wireless network... theoretically :wink:
Author of the Debian Linux Security Appliance Firewall howto, found here
Thread discussing it is here

idud

#4 Post by idud »

KDE4's Network Applet has a button to simply turn off/on wireless device. I don't know it this thing suits you (since maybe you use another DE), but turning off wireless in boot time means you have to remove/disable/blacklist the responsible kernel module (aspnair gave you one possible solution). It may be difficult when you want to turn it back on, except you don't mind to 'su' everytime you need it.

DEpurpnijM

#5 Post by DEpurpnijM »

Thanks for the answers so far but that's not what I actually mean. My notebook has this physically existing switches at the front panel. While the Bios is being loaded the wireless and bluetooth are disabled. While booting Lenny or even Windows they stay disabled until I activate them by operating the switch with my finger. Lenny does recognize the wireless though and even loads the module so the only thing I have to do is trigger the switch and voila - wireless works (knetworkmanager finds the interface, finds wlan, connects, ...). I'm now wondering what makes Squeeze activate the wireless card by default. There has to be an option somewhere. Blacklisting won't turn off the LED on the panel and deactivating the device in Bios won't let me reactivate it with the switch later on :(

What else can be done?

jheaton5

#6 Post by jheaton5 »

AFIK the switch on your laptop that deactivates wireless, is actually a power switch. There is nothing software can do to bypass a hardware switch. I think you need to triage again.
debian sid

kmchen

#7 Post by kmchen »

I come back to that problem in 2022 under debian 11 and it is still acurate and maybe HEALTHY anoying while you have the card turned ON, and receive radiation without knowing it.
@Jheaton: when I read DEputpnijM post it looks like the problem arised on the same machine after upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze. So ther should be a soft way to switch off the card.

drokmed

#8 Post by drokmed »

LOL 12 years later...

Thanks for the update. Cheers.
Author of the Debian Linux Security Appliance Firewall howto, found here
Thread discussing it is here

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Ummm....you realize that just operating the CPU, etc, generates EM

( I apologize in advance for feeding the zombie, but it is seasonably appropriate )
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kmchen wrote: 2022-09-24 14:00 while you have the card turned ON, and receive radiation without knowing it
lol. Good one. Can I sell you some tin foil? I have a bulk supplier :mrgreen:

EDIT: you need one of these:

https://digilent.com/blog/playing-with- ... aday-suit/
deadbang