Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] dpkg nvidia-installer-cleanup issue

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jalisco

[SOLVED] dpkg nvidia-installer-cleanup issue

#1 Post by jalisco »

Hello,

I am using Jessie, and was just updating some software.

I guess I have learned my lesson now, and that is, just don't blindly update software unless you know what it is =(

I restarted my system, and get the "oh no, something is terribly wrong" message.

I can only login to recovery mode, as root. If I try to run startx, it also fails. After some log digging, I think it has to do with my video card.

When I try to update my driver, the system seems to hang on the "nvidia-installer-cleanup" forever.

Now, after a couple of restarts, the problem has not resolved itself.

I get the message that I need to run "dpkg --configure -a" to fix it (to complete the above application, but regardless of options, the system just hangs). Granted, I have only waited about an hour -- should I wait longer?

Can anyone give me any other pointers, or ideas? It shouldn't be that complicated, should it? I already started migrating my data, and planning to just re-install unless I can get a helpful tip, in the right direction.

Thanks!
Last edited by jalisco on 2017-07-17 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

Re: dpkg nvidia-installer-cleanup issue

#2 Post by pylkko »

That package says in the description that it prevents driver upgrades. So maybe you updated the drive from a third party source and had this package installed? Maybe try remove it

jalisco

[SOLVED]dpkg nvidia-installer-cleanup issue

#3 Post by jalisco »

I just wanted to return to confirm your recommendation.

I actually figured it out last night. The issue was precisely the AGP driver.

As mentioned, I got myself stuck in some funny state, because I was unable to run the uninstaller -- it would just hang.

Eventually I just deleted it, and installed the new driver.

More precisely, in case anyone runs into a similar problem.

I only had access to the command line (root) from recovery mode. Fortunately, I had setup an ftp server recently on another machine, and was able to download the new driver there, and just ftp from the command line, and "get" the driver.

Then, I had to delete the nvidia-installer-cleanup on my system, and then run the new installer.

Gramotey

Re: [SOLVED]dpkg nvidia-installer-cleanup issue

#4 Post by Gramotey »

jalisco wrote: 2017-07-17 09:51 I just wanted to return to confirm your recommendation.

I actually figured it out last night. The issue was precisely the AGP driver.
Eventually I just deleted it, and installed the new driver.

Then, I had to delete the nvidia-installer-cleanup on my system, and then run the new installer.
This could not possibly have been a less useful post to close this thread.
How did you solve your problem? Geez.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] dpkg nvidia-installer-cleanup issue

#5 Post by sunrat »

@Gramotey If you have a problem, please start a new thread and explain what it is. This thread is 4 years old.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!