Weird VPN PPTP behavior

Kernels, Network, and Services configuration
gugu

Weird VPN PPTP behavior

#1 Post by gugu »

I have Debian 10 Buster installed and I use a PPTP VPN correctly configured using native Debian network manager to remotely connect my Windows 10 PC in my working place. However, I am facing a weird behavior: when I switch on my laptop, which is connected to my home network using an ethernet cable, and I connect to the VPN everything seems to work just fine. Nevertheless, when I try to connect to the RDP using xfreeRDP I get an error:

Code: Select all

[11:11:54:340] [2758:2759] [INFO][com.freerdp.client.common.cmdline] - loading channelEx cliprdr
[11:12:09:333] [2758:2759] [ERROR][com.freerdp.core] - freerdp_set_last_error ERRCONNECT_CONNECT_FAILED [0x00020006]
[11:12:09:333] [2758:2759] [ERROR][com.freerdp.core] - failed to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
If I use

ip a 
I can see the PPTP connection with a correct IP address.

If I ping my work PC (or whatever device on my work network) I do not get any answer.

Then, if I turn off and on again the wired connection and I connect again to the VPN without changing any other setting, everything works smoothly (both ping and RDP).

If I use wireless connection, everything works perfectly from the beginning.

In both cases (wired and wireless) I use dynamic IP (DHCP).

My IT skills are quite limited and I do not know how to troubleshot this issue. It is not a big deal, I need less than 30 seconds to turn off and on the wired connection, however I would like to understand the reasons for this behavior. I guess that when the system is loading, despite everything looks fine in the connection settings, something wrong happen with the wired network. Then, once the system is fully loaded, if I turn off and on the network the settings "restore".

My kernel is

Linux guido-deb 4.19.0-14-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.171-2 (2021-01-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Moreover, after a while working in the remote session, the internet in the local machine "stop working". I put "strop working" between quotes because it is again somehow weird. I cannot load any page (neither google) but the RDP still works and also Whatsapp web or Teams if the respective pages were previously loaded. Turning off and on wired network fixes the problem.....

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!