Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iddues with radeon graphics and radeontop

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mm3100

Iddues with radeon graphics and radeontop

#1 Post by mm3100 »

Hello everyone,

Under Buster I used to have odd freezing of one standalone unity game. It would freeze for 1 or 2 seconds after each action. Looking at radeontop it would show how it works, and once it freezes all stats would go to 0.
After upgrading to Bullseye those freezes stopped, I was happy it got fixed, but then once I did clean installation of Bullseye those freezes started again as in Buster. I am at loss why.

I have Radeon HD 7450M and have installed necessary non-free firmware as before. And I have no clue where to even look as to possible issue, it is even more confusing to me that it worked great after upgrade. But not after clean installation. I have followed wiki on ATI card setup
https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

Firmware, is loaded, no issues such as warnings/error are shown in journal, no output in console when running unity game. I am have hybrid graphics so I run it using DRI_PRIME offloading, I have checked and it does run on radeon.

Another thing is that radeontop shows odd results, even when not in use I have wrong reading, example right now

Code: Select all

4457M / 1024M VRAM 435.27% │                                                                                  
2183M / 1018M GTT 214.43% │                                                                                  
0.90G / 0.00G Memory Clock    inf% │
0.75G / 0.75G Shader Clock 100.00% │  

Clearly those are wrong and not possible. Could it be some kind of bug or something on my end? I don't know where to even look for start of those issues. If anyone knows anything please say.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Iddues with radeon graphics and radeontop

#2 Post by CwF »

Nothing yet?
mm3100 wrote: I have checked and it does run on radeon.
You're sure the new install isn't using amdgpu? I think a 7450 could use either?

lspci -kd 1002:

mm3100

Re: Iddues with radeon graphics and radeontop

#3 Post by mm3100 »

Sadly my card is just a generation too old, using TeraScale 2 architecture. So I can't use experimental amdgpu.
If your graphics card is built on GCN 1.0 or GCN 1.1 (also known as being from the "Southern Islands" or "Sea Islands" card families), you may enable experimental AMDGPU support in order to see potentially better performance and Vulkan support.
And yeah, uses radeon drivers

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]
        DeviceName: ATI SEYMOR XT
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Radeon HD 7450M
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon