Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian VM MAC addresses changing

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
macadameane

Debian VM MAC addresses changing

#1 Post by macadameane »

Hello all! I appreciate anyone helping me out ahead of time.

I am running many instances of Debian 10.3 in a VMWare VMs. I have many adapters, and the VM is getting used as an FRR router. I am writing software that configures multiple routers for test networks.

Each machine has 7 network adapters and as the titles indicates, they change sometimes when I run configurations over SSH. I'm not sure exactly when the change occurs, but probably as interfaces get brought up or down. I have verified that the MACs aren't changing in vSphere, and when I restart any of the machines, their MACs return to the expected address and all is well.

I researched the issue quite a bit and can't seem to figure out why this is happening. I am trying to prevent this for configuration consistency. FRR requires me to use the name of the interface when configuring its static address, and I have to match that to the adapters I've connected in vSphere. I already reached out the the FRR slack group and was told that FRR doesn't touch the MACs at all. I never delete the interfaces in vSphere, but I do disconnect them according to the network configuration.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for taking the time to read.

macadameane

Re: Debian VM MAC addresses changing

#2 Post by macadameane »

Just for anyone curious, I did discover what the problem is. vSphere is resetting the MAC addresses only when adapters are modified through its REST API. Other methods don't seem to be problematic. It's a bug as the REST API documentation explicitly states that certain calls will not change the state of items not updated, but they do anyway. Sorry for the trouble.