Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Vulcan Drivers

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
main

Installing Vulcan Drivers

#1 Post by main »

Trying to force a steam game to work on WINE. The only time I can get a human-readable error code is if I ctrl-alt-f3 into text-only mode, in which case WINE tells me it detects no Vulcan drivers. I have already manually updated my Nvidia drivers to 4.60 using the .run (since new drivers are not available via apt) as requested by the Steam error code, but I'm thinking that I'll get better luck trying to run directly with WINE so I'm installing these instead. Having issues with apt-get, where the package mesa-vulkan-drivers is just freezing the terminal:
main@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install mesa-vulkan-drivers
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
mesa-vulkan-drivers is already the newest version (18.3.6-2+deb10u1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
glx-alternative-mesa libegl-mesa0:i386 libegl1:i386 libgbm1:i386 libgles1:i386 libgles2:i386 libnvidia-cbl l
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-eglcore:i386 libnvidia-legacy-390xx-glcore libnvidia-legacy-390xx-glcore:i386 libnvid
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up nvidia-installer-cleanup (20151021+9) ...

WARNING: The '--no-runlevel-check' option is deprecated: nvidia-installer will ignore this option.

Welcome to the NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux

Detected 24 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 24.

If you plan to no longer use the NVIDIA driver, you should make sure that no X screens are configured to use t
backup of your original configuration. Would you like to run `nvidia-xconfig --restore-original-backup` to att
[default: (N)o]: n

Already tried this, stopped it, killed it, and then ran it again. It has given no further output for half an hour now. Given my research on the matter, I seem to need "vulkan" or "mesa" drivers, preferably unstable ones. How can I reasonably install these? Or force this installation to go through?

main

Re: Installing Vulcan Drivers

#2 Post by main »

Terminal is still frozen.

mm3100

#3 Post by mm3100 »

Did you follow debian wiki for steam?
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

It says there what you need for NVIDIA to get workign vulcan. Also what GPU do you have, not all can run vulcan. At least those older ones can't.

main

#4 Post by main »

I haven't been following that guide. But I'm doing the same thing. I downloaded the proprietary Nvidia drivers from the .run. When trying to run the game via WINE in text-only mode, it gave me the error that WINE did not have the proper Vulkan drivers, so I tried to install mesa-vulkan-drivers. Which is also what the guide suggests, so this isn't me doing the wrong thing. Problem is when I try to install mesa-vulkan-drivers, after choosing the options it simply freezes indefinitely (waited 4 hours) and does not take ctrl+c. I need to force-close it and then manually unlock dpkg. Does the same thing in terminal-only display.

I'm running a 980ti, which is supported.

mm3100

#5 Post by mm3100 »

Steam has its own fork of wine called proton, are you trying to force to use wine or what? As it seems to me you are trying to run it with wine instead of steam proton?

Is there are reason you are using wine instead of proton?

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

A trivial bit of searching at repology.org or packages.debian.org, or a question asked here, would have revealed that buster-backports currently has 460.73.01, https://packages.debian.org/stable-back ... cs-drivers.

Perhaps reading this guide in the Debian wiki would also help you in the future: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... ll_scripts
MX Linux packager and developer