Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Preload

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mm3100

Preload

#1 Post by mm3100 »

Hello,
Has anyone been using preload?
It is currently available for Bullseye so I though I could give it a go.

Reading through its config files says it s log cycle is every 20 s. I could change that, but is there any performance issues with it? As, with disk going to low power mode and such? There was one bug report about it.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Preload

#2 Post by wizard10000 »

Just my experience but I quit using preload when I started using SSD :)

It's gonna use some RAM and the application will have to have run at least once to be in preload's cache but I found it to be slightly helpful when I was using spinning disks, not so much with solid state drives.

Hope this helps -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

mm3100

#3 Post by mm3100 »

wizard10000 wrote:It's gonna use some RAM and the application will have to have run at least once to be in preload's cache but I found it to be slightly helpful when I was using spinning disks, not so much with solid state drives.
That does make sense for HDD, I have SSD and plenty of unused RAM, so I see no reason why not to try it out.

As for when you were using it on HDD, how much performance increase did you notice? How much more RAM would it eat?

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

mm3100 wrote:As for when you were using it on HDD, how much performance increase did you notice? How much more RAM would it eat?
I *think* the RAM it uses comes out of buffers or disk cache so you won't see much difference in RAM usage. On a spinning disk it normally improved application restart time (if the application was in preload's cache).

It's certainly worth playing around with it but I don't think you're gonna see much difference if your OS is already on an SSD. You're not gonna hurt anything by trying it so my vote is to give it a try :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin