Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Case closed] default brightness for backlit keyboard

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bester69

[Case closed] default brightness for backlit keyboard

#1 Post by bester69 »

How do i do to set a default brightness for my new backlit keyboard?¿

I would like it to be off when plugged in, and switch on to minimum level when afternoon... right now, everytime I plug-in my backlit usb keyboard, it starts with lights on to maximum level.. :?

Model:
PERIBOARD-326 mini backlit keyboard

I would apreciate any help, thanks. :|, didnt find any solution that worked up in google searches
Last edited by bester69 on 2021-07-24 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

Re: default brightness for backlit keyboard?

#2 Post by bester69 »

Didnt seem Linux recognised this keyboard backlit model, cos I dont find anything in /sys/class/leds to manage backlit control

Curiouslly If i connect the keyboard to the USB-hub insteed normal usb port, keyboard remember last brightness state when waking up, which is what I needed

Unless whith this last discover I will be able to use it, not having to be everytime adjusting bringhtness to minimum level :o
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

bester69 wrote: 2021-07-24 09:28Didnt seem Linux recognised this keyboard backlit model
Unless the manufacturer released a linux driver for their special functions, or at least detailed chipset specs for some eager-beaver to write one, that's not surprising.

If you can figure out what chipset it's using, there are a few interesting things floating about on github that might be hackable for your model... But it'll almost certainly be work.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-24 10:12
bester69 wrote: 2021-07-24 09:28Didnt seem Linux recognised this keyboard backlit model
Unless the manufacturer released a linux driver for their special functions, or at least detailed chipset specs for some eager-beaver to write one, that's not surprising.

If you can figure out what chipset it's using, there are a few interesting things floating about on github that might be hackable for your model... But it'll almost certainly be work.
Thanks for info. and help. I was expecting linux were able to manage it... Its my first backlit keyboard.. with the usb.hub workaround solution is enought to me.. I will keep it.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by steve_v »

bester69 wrote: 2021-07-24 14:29Thanks for info. and help. I was expecting linux were able to manage it.
Yeah, unfortunately configurable keyboard lighting tends to fall into the same category as all the other fancy peripheral stuff like "gaming" RGB mice and whatnot. There's no real standard for the extra commands and manufacturers do whatever they feel like, so support is kinda spotty.

Ed.
bester69 wrote: 2021-07-24 14:29the usb.hub workaround solution is enought to me.
My guess (and it's only a guess mind) is that the hub keeps the device powered even when the host is shut down, and that's why the keyboard is keeping it's settings. Some motherboards have a similar feature (for charging your phone when the machine is off or some-such nonsense), if you've got that it might be worth playing with.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-24 14:36 My guess (and it's only a guess mind) is that the hub keeps the device powered even when the host is shut down, and that's why the keyboard is keeping it's settings. Some motherboards have a similar feature (for charging your phone when the machine is off or some-such nonsense), if you've got that it might be worth playing with.
Yeah, I got lucky here, seems linux is missing some hardware port usb feature in motherboard that is added with the hub

Thanks mate :)

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

bester69 wrote: 2021-07-24 17:57seems linux is missing some hardware port usb feature
The thing I'm thinking of is a hardware/BIOS feature, Linux doesn't really have anything to do with it.
My board has it, but I have no use for it.

TBH I find myself spending more time trying to disable gimmicks and silly lighting features than use them. That's why there's a roll of black pvc tape on my desk right now in fact. :P
ASUS "aura" RGB garbage in particular can kiss my a...

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-24 18:14
bester69 wrote: 2021-07-24 17:57seems linux is missing some hardware port usb feature
The thing I'm thinking of is a hardware/BIOS feature, Linux doesn't really have anything to do with it.
My board has it, but I have no use for it.

TBH I find myself spending more time trying to disable gimmicks and silly lighting features than use them. That's why there's a roll of black pvc tape on my desk right now in fact. :P
ASUS "aura" RGB garbage in particular can kiss my a...
like that ? :mrgreen:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [Case closed] default brightness for backlit keyboard

#9 Post by steve_v »

*shudder*

Why?

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-25 00:59 *shudder*

Why?
I think you haven't read many of the OP's posts, then.
MX Linux packager and developer

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by NFT5 »

bester69 wrote: 2021-07-24 09:28 Curiouslly If i connect the keyboard to the USB-hub insteed normal usb port, keyboard remember last brightness state when waking up, which is what I needed
Not unusual, especially if the hub is powered. Something to do with not enough power from the normal USB port. Happens to me with external USB drives - not recognised when plugged straight in but come up when plugged in to a powered USB hub.

If it works for you, then good. If not you could always go back to a hardware solution - 2 resistors and a switch. Operating system agnostic. :wink:

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-25 00:59 *shudder*

Why?
Yeah, I'm with you. Recently had to put a couple of 120mm fans in my desktop server to help heat management. Didn't realise that they come with blue lighting. :( Now, not only do I have to hear it, but see it as well. :evil:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#12 Post by steve_v »

NFT5 wrote: 2021-07-28 01:04Now, not only do I have to hear it, but see it as well.
I'm not normally one to plug any particular manufacturer, but TBH I stopped using anything but noctua fans a few years back. They're pricey, but they're quiet, unlit, and they outlast at leat 3 of anything else I've used.
I've been there with cheap fans, and likewise "gaming" ones. Even if they don't come with silly lighting the hassle of replacing them when the bearings inevitably get noisy just isn't worth it.

On lighting in general, that "vintage" machine on my desk has:
A green power light, tastefully not super bright. An amber HDD light, ditto. Green NIC lights, just bright enough to see what's going on. No blue, no white, and no other illumination. One fan, not too loud, and the 3600RPM HDD is by far the biggest source of noise.

Compare that to modern machines:
Good luck finding a case without at least one ludicrously bright blue LED, the motherboard has RGB, the GPU has RGB, the fans have RGB, and any peripheral has at least one super-bright LED as well, if not a bunch more RGB.

The activity light on my desktops secondary NIC is literally enough to read by, because why go to the expense of a little plastic light-pipe or a through-hole LED when one can just use a super-bright SMD one and drill a hole in the backplate in vaguely the right place. :roll:

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by NFT5 »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-28 11:01 I stopped using anything but noctua fans a few years back.
Noctua are good. Have one in my desktop in the shop. These ones, though, are Cooler Master, which come in at 65cfm and under 20dBA plus they have resistor cables as well for when you run out of PWM enabled mounts on the motherboard. Been using them for a while and no problems, but the latest ones have the "cool" blue LEDs not even mentioned in the specs. I'll snip the power wires at some point but that machine has 8 x HDDs immediately behind the fans, so it's a bit of a job.