Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11 Cinnamon Networking

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
zwab

Debian 11 Cinnamon Networking

#1 Post by zwab »

Hey,
I'm using the Debian 11 Cinnamon + nonfree .iso
I installed using that iso as a hyper-v virtual machine and the cinnamon network manager doesn't seem to work. It shows no connections and the Ethernet wired connection shows never used. The weird part is that after editing/etc/network/interfaces and putting my network information in there I can use the web, networking works just fine. Just that the cinnamon network manager is showing that i'm not connected. I installed the same .iso as a virtualbox vm with no issues. Any ideas? Thanks.
As a side note registration for this site is insane, I had to use four different devices to finally get in because apparently car windows need shields. :(
hyper-v Version: 6.3.9600.16384 on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

drclu2020

Re: Debian 11 Cinnamon Networking

#2 Post by drclu2020 »

Yes, I have seen that same behavior when installing Debian in a hyper-v virtual machine. For me it seems like the networking stops working after rebooting after the install has completed, I am not sure why.

The work around that I currently use is this:

1. Shutdown the hyper-v machine.
2. Right click on the virtual machine and click the Settings option.
3. In the left hand tree click the "Network Adapter", and click the Remove button on the right hand side and then click Apply.
4. Click on "Add Hardware" option on the top left in tree, pick "Network Adapter" from the list and click the Add button.
5. The new Network Adapter will default to "Not Connected", so change it to the "Default Switch" in the "Virtual switch" drop down, and then click Apply.
6. Restart the virtual machine.
7. The networking should be working at this point.

zwab

#3 Post by zwab »

drclu2020,

Thank for the reply. Maybe I wasn't clear with my post. Here's an image to clarify: https://files.catbox.moe/2qm4xs.png
ip addr shows the right IP specified in /etc/network/interfaces, I just cut it out in the picture. I can ping out, web browse, ssh all that stuff it's just that the cinnamon network manager doesn't seem to work. I haven't tried other DEs and I don't even know if that matters honestly.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Configuring network in /etc/network/interfaces overrides network manager (in other DEs, haven't tried cinnamon). If your network is working, it doesn't matter. To use network manager if you absolutely must, remove or comment out the relevant lines in the interfaces file.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

drclu2020

#5 Post by drclu2020 »

Sorry zwab,

I missed the piece about you editing the "/etc/network/interfaces", like sunrat said, that will over-ride the network manager. So I will add a step 0 to my work around:

0. Start up the hyper-v machine and remove or comment out any edits you did to the interfaces file.

zwab

#6 Post by zwab »

Well the thing is that the network manager wasn't working to begin with, which is why I edited /etc/network/interfaces :lol:
First I tried inputting the IP configuration I wanted to use in the network manager GUI but it didn't work, it just showed that nothing is connected and the interface wasn't used. Next I checked ip addr and saw I was getting an IP on eth0, presumably through DHCP, but it wasn't the IP I manually input in the network manager. So then I disabled DHCP and manually added in my IP settings to get the IP I wanted. Sorry if my explanation wasn't clear but network manager wasn't working since installation, before doing anything, it didn't recognize the automatically assigned DHCP IP or the IP I statically set in the network manager settings.

drclu2020

#7 Post by drclu2020 »

Yes, the behavior that you are describing, is the same as what I am seeing, that the networking isn't working after rebooting after the install is done. Once you complete the work around that I supplied, including step 0, it only needs to be done once per VM, then the networking should start working.