Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

my gib ethernet just use 100mbps [PROBLEM]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
roycordero

Re: my gib ethernet just use 100mbps [PROBLEM]

#21 Post by roycordero »

Someone in another forum told me this https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... highlight=
I believe that the system with an intel e2200 processor (manufactured in 2008) and whatever motherboard will not be able to handle anything close to 1gig across any of the pci bridges. That chip is two cores, two threads and about a 402 benchmark, where as my AMD is around 24000 benchmark. Your computer might accept installing that 1 gig card, but your northbridge and southbridge share an 800mhz bus with everything else in the machine, and running that test with access to the drives, memory, cpu, lucky if one PCI x1 and maybe a PCI x16 slot maybe with a video card installed, will bury the bus. If you want to test for sure, erase everything on the computer do fresh install of any operating system, and do test with nothing else loaded.

Most modern cell phones have more overall performance.
In a few words my pc is a sh** hahaha yeah i kown it but... Possibly if it could be that :(
๐— ๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฅ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ - ๐—ก๐—˜๐—ง๐—š๐—˜๐—”๐—ฅ ๐—ฅ๐Ÿต๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ, ๐——๐——๐˜„๐—ฟ๐˜

๐—ฆ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ข๐— ๐—ฉ:
MotherBoard: DP43TF Intel, CPU: Intel Pentium Dual E2200 @ 2x 2.2GHz
Ram: 2gb, OS: Debian 10 buster, Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.0-17-amd64
OMV: 5.x Usul, Docker: 5.x~debian-buster

Marie SWE

#22 Post by Marie SWE »

roycordero wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 01:20 Someone in another forum told me this https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... highlight=
I believe that the system with an intel e2200 processor (manufactured in 2008) and whatever motherboard will not be able to handle anything close to 1gig across any of the pci bridges. That chip is two cores, two threads and about a 402 benchmark, where as my AMD is around 24000 benchmark. Your computer might accept installing that 1 gig card, but your northbridge and southbridge share an 800mhz bus with everything else in the machine, and running that test with access to the drives, memory, cpu, lucky if one PCI x1 and maybe a PCI x16 slot maybe with a video card installed, will bury the bus. If you want to test for sure, erase everything on the computer do fresh install of any operating system, and do test with nothing else loaded.

Most modern cell phones have more overall performance.
In a few words my pc is a sh** hahaha yeah i kown it but... Possibly if it could be that :(
:mrgreen: I love old retro computers and I have a bundle of them from commodore PC-II (Intel 8088 cpu from the 80s) up to modern ones
You have CPUsocket 775 and 800MHz DDR2 so you can most likely upgrade your CPU to a Core 2 Duo E4700
But I think if you flash bios to the latest version, then maybe you can use a Core 2 Duo E6700 and if you are really lucky maybe even a Core 2 Quad Q6700.
With a E2200 I can guess that you in reality probably get out round 400-600Mbit/s depending on OS and workload
With a E4xxx series around 800+ Mbit Depending on OS workload
E6series.. 1Gbit no problem
So check around if you can get your hands on a E4700 for a very, very cheep price or for free of some friendly soul :D
and you need more RAM :) I think you can have 4GB on that one

To really be able to answer what you can maximize the computer with, I have to do some research... now I'm just guessing

EDIT... a little fast checking on your computer :)
Fast check motherboard
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... p43tf.html
8GB ram Max :D
CPU support https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DP43TF.html
Seems as you can use E6xx series and even quadcore Q6xxx series

Here is more info https://www.intel.com/content/dam/suppo ... uide01.pdf
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

roycordero

#23 Post by roycordero »

Marie SWE wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 02:15 :mrgreen: I love old retro computers and I have a bundle of them from commodore PC-II (Intel 8088 cpu from the 80s) up to modern ones
Exactly, and another are agree with that and recommend me something else
I get what people are saying, but I have an older machine with an E6600 Core 2 duo and it can do ~400 Mbps max and it has negotiated a 1 Gbps link through the motherboard, and it is/has run debian 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12. I find it suspicious that the 3rd picture says the link is 100 Mbps... that means the system negotiated down...

I would check dmesg, so ensure that there is not any messages saying this, then check your interface settings to ensure that you did not artificially limit it
the i write te code

Code: Select all

dmesg
and its a very very long output, but with the dmesg -help i try this

root@Servidor:~# dmesg --level=alert,crit,err,warn,notice,info
It is slightly shorter, but still too long to put it here without asking first
๐— ๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฅ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ - ๐—ก๐—˜๐—ง๐—š๐—˜๐—”๐—ฅ ๐—ฅ๐Ÿต๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ, ๐——๐——๐˜„๐—ฟ๐˜

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by wizard10000 »

edit: what used to be here was completely wrong. you guys will figure it out as you read the thread :mrgreen:
Last edited by wizard10000 on 2021-09-03 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Marie SWE

#25 Post by Marie SWE »

wizard10000 wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 13:10
Marie SWE wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 02:15 EDIT... a little fast checking on your computer :)
Fast check motherboard
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... p43tf.html
8GB ram Max :D
CPU support https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DP43TF.html
Seems as you can use E6xx series and even quadcore Q6xxx series
I should have seen this earlier but his motherboard has an 800MHz bus which means it's never, ever gonna be able to do gigabit Ethernet no matter which processor he installs - since the next slowest legal Ethernet speed is 100Mb/sec I'm pretty sure that's why he can't go faster than that :mrgreen:
I just did a quick search :wink: it was after four in the morning and I needed to go to sleep :mrgreen: so I didn't read through everything about his computer I just saw 8GB ram and higher CPUs was compatible.

But I have a Dell retro computer with a modified win7(it came with Vista) 4GB-RAM DDR2 pc2-6400(800mhz) and with a Q6600(upgraded from E4600) and I can max out 1Gbit with that one.
The bottle neck on that one is the Disk.. so on download writing to disk it can't... But on local speed test against my server it can do 1Gbit i think the value was around 965-975Mbit I say it qualifies as 1Gbit
I have not tested Linux on that one and I probably never will.. it's just one of several in my retro collection and I will never use it more then for fun.. its a bit of history :D
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)

Marie SWE

#26 Post by Marie SWE »

roycordero wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 04:14
Marie SWE wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 02:15 :mrgreen: I love old retro computers and I have a bundle of them from commodore PC-II (Intel 8088 cpu from the 80s) up to modern ones
Exactly, and another are agree with that and recommend me something else
I get what people are saying, but I have an older machine with an E6600 Core 2 duo and it can do ~400 Mbps max and it has negotiated a 1 Gbps link through the motherboard, and it is/has run debian 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12. I find it suspicious that the 3rd picture says the link is 100 Mbps... that means the system negotiated down...

I would check dmesg, so ensure that there is not any messages saying this, then check your interface settings to ensure that you did not artificially limit it
the i write te code

dmesg
and its a very very long output, but with the dmesg -help i try this

root@Servidor:~# dmesg --level=alert,crit,err,warn,notice,info
It is slightly shorter, but still too long to put it here without asking first
Yes, a newer computer would not be to any disadvantage. :wink:
But I also know that there are many who don't get newer for a hundred reasons... everything from finances to that they just don't want too.
So therefore, I will never use the words to someone that they must upgrade, or there computer is rubbish... That is just rude to say to someone's face.

Its better to try to help out to maximize there system 8)

Okay.. on your E6600.. what OS and RAM size do you have on the 400 Mbit results? type of RAM 5300 or 6400 (667/800MHz) and when testing.. was it a simple speed test locally or over internet or on a download?
It should be able to do more on a speedtest.

roycordero

#27 Post by roycordero »

wizard10000 wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 13:10I should have seen this earlier but his motherboard has an 800MHz bus which means it's never, ever gonna be able to do gigabit Ethernet no matter which processor he installs - since the next slowest legal Ethernet speed is 100Mb/sec I'm pretty sure that's why he can't go faster than that :mrgreen:
Ok thanks, I will review some of the cable but I was satisfied with at least 300 or 400mbps but ... it will be that I must change mobo... :?

what could i change for a better result in future? mobo or cpu? i got to control de budget

roycordero

#28 Post by roycordero »

We just put a cable to do the test and immediately the iperf3 -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -V -P20 -n1000M

And this came out

IT WAS THE 'ยท $% CABLE!

Now we will do the work to change the cable (which is difficult)but is already solved thanks to all for your advice and more data ...

I already know another tool from linu dmseg hehe

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#29 Post by wizard10000 »

Outstanding. Congratulations!

I was wrong about bus speed, Marie SWE was right. I got educated today on how PCI-E works and now that I think about it my bus speed theory was a bit ridiculous. Gonna leave it up because people replied to it but my whole argument was a little embarrassing :)

Short version, speeds way faster than 1Gb/s are supported by PCI-E, I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking, SATA ruins way faster than the bus does :)

cheers -
-- anais nin

Marie SWE

#30 Post by Marie SWE »

wizard10000 wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 19:06 Outstanding. Congratulations!

I was wrong about bus speed, Marie SWE was right. I got educated today on how PCI-E works and now that I think about it my bus speed theory was a bit ridiculous. Gonna leave it up because people replied to it but my whole argument was a little embarrassing :)

Short version, speeds way faster than 1Gb/s are supported by PCI-E, I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking, SATA ruins way faster than the bus does :)

cheers -
nooo... don't feel any embarrassment. :D We all learn new things all the time, that's what's so wonderful about life. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do have a little cheat up my sleeve. :wink:

I first started with PC computers 1988 when I was 14 years old and I build my first PC 1990 and I had it as an interest up to around 2000-2004.. and then I started work with building custom computers and repairing computer hardware and installing windows to customers(xp and win7 certified) up to 2010 or if it was 2011 and under that time I also have also helped out building network infrastructure in two schools... so hardware is my thing.
And I have retro computers as a little side hobby here at home.

And to point out... I still makes mistakes and mixes things up sometimes. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: and that is pure embarrassment those times I messes up. :lol: :lol: those times I just want to dig a big hole in the ground and hide out for a century or two :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

I am still very bad at linux.. so I have a lot to learn from all of you in here. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by wizard10000 »

Marie SWE wrote: โ†‘2021-09-03 23:17nooo... don't feel any embarrassment. :D We all learn new things all the time, that's what's so wonderful about life. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks - I've been computering about as long as you have but was a little older when I started - I think my almost-senior citizen brain disengaged on me there for a bit. I mean, that's pretty basic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But - I'm OT so I should quit. Thanks again -
-- anais nin

Marie SWE

#32 Post by Marie SWE »

wizard10000 wrote: โ†‘2021-09-04 00:31 [But - I'm OT so I should quit. Thanks again -
Thank you. :hugging:

roycordero

#33 Post by roycordero »

Hehe

if you say that you do not know about compus I am totally ignorant in what linux is concerned and in windows because only what is necessary in some things, recently I armed my OMV data server with debian after struggling for about 6 months ( Between work time and leisure time) just to 'understand a little' very little really how to install a system and I still use how tos and wikies hehe ... but thanks to the help of a lot I have been able to build my 'decent' data server And start making a private network a little ... more advanced and decent in my house ...

Although of course I still have serious problems such as that I need my workers to have access to that data server in my house among other things such as printers and others so that they can work better but I do not have a 0% idea of โ€‹โ€‹how to do it A VPN for example or where to start ... but thanks to the help and patience of all the forums because they let me learn new things every day, that's why I thank you