Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LXDE: change color of volume icon on panel

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
peer

LXDE: change color of volume icon on panel

#1 Post by peer »

debian 11, lxde
The volume icon on the panel is black. It is hard to see because the panel itself is also dark.
In the file ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel I can find the volume plugin.
I tried to add the line "image//usr/share/lxpanel/images/volume.png" to this plugin but that did not change anything.

How can I change the color of this volume icon or replace this icon?

greg9

Re: LXDE: change color of volume icon on panel

#2 Post by greg9 »

there are 2 ways to change.

1 Choose a different icon theme. I run icewm and use lxappearance

try installing as root then running as a local user

Code: Select all

lxappearance
On my system....icon theme HighContrast displays a dark or black icon

2 or change other aspects of lxpanel as mentioned here
https://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel_Theming

peer

#3 Post by peer »

greg9, thank you for your reaction.
At this moment I changed the background of the panel. So the volume icon is now visible. But I would like to change the icon itself.
I will try your theming link.

greg9

#4 Post by greg9 »

Can you name your icon too. You may be able to find a non-black icon that could replace current one.

is it just an icon or a panel applet?

A panel applet can be interacted with, to increase or mute the sound.

edit
You might like to install using root powers volumeicon-alsa
it offers both wihite and black icons.

On my icewm, I have screenshot....I chose horizontal slider rather than vertical but YMMV
It interacts with the backend which is alsa. I do not know what your default sound device is, but we can swap it if the wrong device is showing up.

https://imgur.com/eOyuvnV

If you hover, a popup tells you your vol level. It has preferences or control panel by RH clicking

peer

#5 Post by peer »

It is an panel applet. In the config file : ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel I find the following:

Code: Select all

Plugin {
  type=volume
  Config {
    VolumeMuteKey=XF86AudioMute
    VolumeDownKey=XF86AudioLowerVolume
    VolumeUpKey=XF86AudioRaiseVolume
  }
}
I tried to add a line like: image=/usr/share/lxpanel/images/volume-high.png (red icon) in the first line of the config but this does not work. I still see the original black icon. I do nit know the name or location of the original icon

greg9

#6 Post by greg9 »

I have already mentioned there is the alsa applet that has white icon.

But maybe you are using pulseaudio?
it has pasystray but when I installed this....its not a black icon so you could try it.

You could ask at this forum but I noticed a similar question but no reply
https://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=31805
subject was voume control icon (on a black background) which appears to be your issue.

If you do not get a better reply here....you could also look at creating keyboard shortcuts to mute, lower or raise volumes.

I use neither, instead I run vlc and use external speakers which have a vol knob. Either mouse slider for vlc or manually change external voumes

peer

#7 Post by peer »

Yes, that link is definitely the same question.
I tried pasystray but it uses the same icon. I think the icon is part of the theme.
I have changed the background of the panel to make the icon visible. That works so there is no problem in using it. So I let it be.

Zen997

#8 Post by Zen997 »

Hello peer,
The files responsible for the look of the volume icon in lxpanel are located in /usr/share/icons/ folder. For example, if I use the "Adwaita" icon theme and my lxpanel uses 32-pixel icons, there are 4 icons for the volume control:
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/legacy/audio-volume-muted.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/legacy/audio-volume-low.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/legacy/audio-volume-medium.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/legacy/audio-volume-high.png.
They are .png files and can be replaced by any appropriate 32-pixel icon that you prefer. Copy your preferred icons as root to the /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/legacy folder to use system-wide or to the hidden .icons/Adwaita/32x32/legacy folder located in your /home folder to use for specific user only. Replace "Adwaita" with your current icon theme.

peer

#9 Post by peer »

Hello Zen997,

thanks for your reaction. Changing the background was enough for me.
I did found the icon folder. But I do not know which subfolder is relevant for me. How do you know that you have to look in the .../32x32/legacy folder????

Zen997

#10 Post by Zen997 »

My lxpanel is set to 32 pixels and icons are the same size, which is why I mentioned the 32x32 folder. If your panel is set to other size (22, 24, 48 pixels), then the icons on the panel will be in a different folders (22x22 or 24x24 or 48x48).
I didn't like any of the standard icon sets or the themes, so I took, as a base, the "Adwaita-dark" theme and "Adwaita" icon set, then downloaded the icons I like as .png files and replaced the original .png files with my own. I also edited some of the theme files in "gtk-2.0" and "gtk-3.0" folders to change the colors and now my desktop looks exactly the way I like.