Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrade to 11 broke Apache

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
doonze

Upgrade to 11 broke Apache

#1 Post by doonze »

So just finished up my migration to Debian 11 this morning. Things went.... pretty well. Little tinkering got my few failed services up and running. However, when I went to test my webserver got the "Site down or doing maintenance" or whatever message. Looking through the logs I found this:

(2)No such file or directory: AH02454: FCGI: attempt to connect to Unix domain socket /run/php/php7.3-fpm.sock (*) failed

Ok, so I hit up systemctl, php7.3-fpm isn't even running, it's masked. php7.4-fpm IS running (and should be as I'm now on PHP 7.4). The 7.4 sock is where it's supposed to be, and of course, 7.3 isn't there, because it's not running! Many many many Google searches later returned zero results about why Apache was looking for 7.3 and not 7.4. php.ini looked good, it should be working. So I started just looking up "Install 7.4 FPM pages" and found this little gem:

<FilesMatch \.php$>
# 2.4.10+ can proxy to unix socket
SetHandler "proxy:unix:/var/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock|fcgi://localhost"
</FilesMatch>

I put that into Apache2 default config, and now my server works! Ohhhh k. Great and good. BUT now I'm hardcoded to 7.4FPM! So I'm A) Putting this out there as a bug I hit upgrading. B) Asking if anyone knows where it could have been getting the setting to hit 7.3 even tho it wasn't running instead of 7.4. I've checked all the 7.4 conf files and they all point to 7.4 and not 7.3.

Any ideas? I'd like to not have to hard code my FPM in Apache because when we go to 7.5 I'm going to forget all this and spend hours poking around! LOL

doonze

Re: Upgrade to 11 broke Apache

#2 Post by doonze »

ok, I kinda found my own answer. I thought I had looked all through the Apache config files, but on going through everything again I noticed both php7.0-fpm.conf and php7.3-fpm.conf were in my conf-enabled dir. So I went to conf-available and sure enough, there was php7.4-fpm.conf. So I a2disconf the 7.0 and 7.3, a2enconf 7.4 and commented out my code above that I had put into default-000.... and after a restart it's working fine.

However, it still stands that the Debian 11 upgrade hosed my install.. (For PHP at least). I'm not sure why it left 7.0 and 7.3 out there but had disabled the services, and not sure why it installed and started 7.4 but didn't enable the conf. It was also my understanding that mod_php should have handled this, and the conf it just a backup fallthrough plan. But no mod_php7.4 was installed in my system (I checked) but there is 7.3 and 7.0 etc. Not that mpm will let you enable them. But something is weird here. No one else encountered this mess??