Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11 fresh install freezes at startup

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Cupain7

Debian 11 fresh install freezes at startup

#1 Post by Cupain7 »

Hello,

I've made a fresh install of Debian 11 (amd64 - firmware non-free) on my PC last week.
Since then, Xorg always freezes after a while (sometimes, 5 seconds ; sometimes, 10 minutes).
Switching to console mode, I can see warning messages (see picture : http://cupain.freeboxos.fr/IMG_20211026_212108.jpg) appearing every minute, until the console also freezes.
I don't really know how to understand it.

I had Debian 10 before, and it worked like a charm with the same configuration.
The only difference is that I updated the bios of my motherboard, and so I set the bios in UEFI mode, and installed Debian 11 in UEFI mode, with an EFI boot partition. Maybe I did wrong, or maybe I missed some configuration.

I also noticed sometimes, the computer starts, but nothing appears on the screen. It works when rebooting. Don't know if there is a relation.

My system configuration is basically :
- Motherboard : MSI B450 GAMING PLUS
- Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
- Graphic Card : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
- 32GB RAM

Hope someone can help me understanding what is going on... Thanks

stevepusser

Re: Debian 11 fresh install freezes at startup

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm---since this might be a graphics problem, could you tell us if you're using the default kernel, and if with the standard nouveau Nvidia driver or the closed-source one from Nvidia.
MX Linux packager and developer

NorthEast

#3 Post by NorthEast »

From the linked image it looks like the kernel is tainted, which could be related to an Nvidia driver.

Cupain7

#4 Post by Cupain7 »

Thank you for the answers, and sorry for the delay of mine.
I don't know how to check which kernel and driver are in use, because the command prompt freezes too fast.
What can I do ? Install Debian without any proprietary driver ?