Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Can't get Xorg to work - amdgpu/DRM KMS not loaded?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
thokr

[SOLVED] Can't get Xorg to work - amdgpu/DRM KMS not loaded?

#1 Post by thokr »

Hello everyone!

We have diskless AMD stations that use iPXE to boot LTSP-generated images. They work alright with Debian 11 image, but identically set up Debian 10 image doesn't - Xorg fails to start properly. And we need to use Debian 10 for some testing.

The APU on the computers is AMD Ryzen 3 4300GE. It seems like the amdgpu driver isn't loading for some reason. I followed the wiki guide and installed the packages firmware-amd-graphics libgl1-mesa-dri libglx-mesa0 mesa-vulkan-drivers xserver-xorg-video-all and recreated the image (obviously).

Please see the attached archive, it contains logs/commands output for the same machine when booted from Debian 11 (good) and when booted from Debian 10 (bad). Notice I removed the time brackets [..........] from Xorg logs, so you can diff them easily. And notice how /dev/dri is missing in Debian 10, indicating that the DRM didn't load for some reason.

Please let me know if you need more information/logs.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
Attachments
logs.zip
(20.4 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Last edited by thokr on 2021-11-26 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

Re: Can't get Xorg to work - amdgpu/DRM KMS not loaded?

#2 Post by Segfault »

I'm not looking at your logs, dmesg is where kernel initialization is and it is not there. It may be the KMS driver in older kernel does not support your AMD card. Unfortunately your lspci is useless, there is no PCI-ID in it. You should use 'lspci -knn' to see it. Once you have the PCI-ID you can check if your kernel supports it at cateee.net - the kernel driver database. The other possible cause for missing /dev/dri is required firmware is not available at the time when kernel driver loads. It is also in dmesg then, with 'error -2' - which means not found.

This may help to get the idea of kernel issues.
My hints for kernel builders.

thokr

Re: Can't get Xorg to work - amdgpu/DRM KMS not loaded?

#3 Post by thokr »

Segfault wrote: 2021-11-22 15:31 I'm not looking at your logs, dmesg is where kernel initialization is and it is not there. It may be the KMS driver in older kernel does not support your AMD card. Unfortunately your lspci is useless, there is no PCI-ID in it. You should use 'lspci -knn' to see it. Once you have the PCI-ID you can check if your kernel supports it at cateee.net - the kernel driver database. The other possible cause for missing /dev/dri is required firmware is not available at the time when kernel driver loads. It is also in dmesg then, with 'error -2' - which means not found.

This may help to get the idea of kernel issues.
My hints for kernel builders.
Thanks for telling me where to look! I checked on cateee.net and indeed kernel 4.19.0 doesn't support our chip (PCI-ID 1002:1636). I instead upgraded to kernel 5.10 and installed firmware-amd-graphics from buster-backports. The amdgpu driver now loads correctly, along with Xorg!