Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Samba and unix extensions

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
skiwarz

Samba and unix extensions

#1 Post by skiwarz »

Hello all,
I'm trying to enable the unix extensions on Samba, in order to use symlinks. I have samba 4.13.5 running on bullseye on a raspberry pi 4 (arm64). From the client machine, I can mount the share just fine, until I try to add "unix" to the mount options, at which point it refuses to mount.

My smb.conf: https://pastebin.com/qJ6dKx6H

When I try to mount the share on my client machine (client running gentoo w/ kernel 5.10.76), I get the following output:

Code: Select all

mount error(95): Operation not supported
Refer to the mount.smb3(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.smb3) and kernel log messages (dmesg)
And from dmesg:

[ 1900.515873] CIFS: VFS: Server does not support mounting with posix SMB3.11 extensions
[ 1900.516702] CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95
My mount command:

mount -t smb3 //192.168.0.12/nas /mnt/nas -o username=[redacted],password=[redacted],vers=3.1.1,unix
My smb.conf explicitly allows connections up to SMB3.1.1, and if I stop the smbd service and run it as "smbd -d 3 -i -S" to get some debug output, I see that it selects the appropriate protocol:

Selected protocol SMB3_11
But still fails to connect.

Does anyone have any idea what could be misconfigured, or if the unix extensions just aren't fully supported yet? As far as I can tell (the samba documentation is vague, fragmented, and old depending on where you look), they should be fully supported at this point, and have been since... samba 3-something.

edit: Here's that debug output from samba when run manually: https://pastebin.com/SFygzkAJ

Segfault

Re: Samba and unix extensions

#2 Post by Segfault »

Why not NFS between two Linux machines?

skiwarz

#3 Post by skiwarz »

1. security (encrypted connection, access controls, etc)
2. Some of my devices (android) don't support NFS, at least not in the apps I use.
In the end, it was brought to my attention in another source that Samba (as of today) doesn't actually support unix extensions in SMB 3.1.1 (just like that message says). Confusingly the Samba documentation mentions several times that it supports unix extensions, however that is only for SMB 1 (which has since been disabled/removed in Samba 4.something). So, no more unix extensions for now.

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

1. NFSv4 is secure enough to be used over internet.
2. So keep using SAMBA for your non-NFS devices.

Your initial post was about two Linux boxes.

Does your Android need to write or read only? If latter then fire up any light HTTP server on your NFS/SAMBA share and all files become downloadable.