Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mailutils-pop3d not able to get it working

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
frank67

mailutils-pop3d not able to get it working

#1 Post by frank67 »

Hi everybody,

Since Mozilla guys has dropped movemail support to Thunderbird 91.5.0 https://askubuntu.com/questions/1368508 ... derbird-91 now I'm looking for a small pop3 mail server in order to read the mail sent by Postfix to my user in /var/mail/myuser.

I'm on Debian Bullseye 11.2 and I decided to give mailutils-pop3d a try, but I'm not able to get it working, googling looks like nobody use it and I've found only GNU documentation that it doesn't help so much. https://mailutils.org/manual/html_node/ ... pop3d.html

my configuration file /etc/mailutils.conf is:

Code: Select all

auth {
  # Set a list of modules for authentication.
  authentication system;

# Set a list of modules for authorization.
  # authorization system;
}

mailbox {
  # Use specified url as a mailspool.
  mail-spool /var/mail;

# Create mailbox url using pattern.
  # mailbox-pattern pattern;

# Default mailbox type.
  mailbox-type mbox;

# Default user mail folder.
  # folder dir;
}
Starting the server with systemd fails, here the output of "systemctl status mailutils-pop3d":

● mailutils-pop3d.service - GNU POP3 daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mailutils-pop3d.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: start-limit-hit) since Tue 2022-01-18 17:54:09 CET; 3h 15min ago
       Docs: info:/usr/share/info/mailutils
             man:pop3d(8)
    Process: 15382 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/pop3d --config-lint (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 15383 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pop3d --daemon (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 15384 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 33ms

gen 18 17:54:09 itek systemd[1]: mailutils-pop3d.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter i>
gen 18 17:54:09 itek systemd[1]: Stopped GNU POP3 daemon.
gen 18 17:54:09 itek systemd[1]: mailutils-pop3d.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
gen 18 17:54:09 itek systemd[1]: mailutils-pop3d.service: Failed with result 'start-limit-hit'.
gen 18 17:54:09 itek systemd[1]: Failed to start GNU POP3 daemon.
but if I run from command line it succeed and it listen on 110 port:

Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2022-01-18 21:12 CET
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.0000040s latency).
Other addresses for localhost (not scanned): ::1
Not shown: 998 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
25/tcp  open  smtp
110/tcp open  pop3

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.09 seconds
then I tried to connect with Thunderbird but it fails and returns the message: "Bad login"

Does mailutils-pop3d broke? I don' know how to configure further, could anybody provide me some hints?

frank67

Re: mailutils-pop3d not able to get it working

#2 Post by frank67 »

I give up with mailutils-pop3d. I think the trouble was to add my user to the database (/etc/apop.db) but "popauth" command fails when I tried the --add option, I don't know the syntax it needs. :cry:

I removed (apt-get purge) the mailutils-pop3d package and installed popa3d and all works fine now, Thunderbird retrieve the local email of my user.
I don't know if it was needed however I reconfigured popa3d package (dpkg-reconfigure popa3d) and set to work as "Standalone" server. HTH

kind regards