Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Poor or null internet access from Testing in one laptop with specific network

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
noober1983

Poor or null internet access from Testing in one laptop with specific network

#1 Post by noober1983 »

Hi, all.

I run Testing on two laptops; let's call them Lap1 and Lap2. Lap1's wireless device is 07:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01), while Lap2's is 02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59). I have two available networks at home, one I pay for and another one provided by my employer; let's call them Home and Work respectively.

Connected to any network, Lap1 can browse, ping, and traceroute without any trouble. The same if I connect Lap2 to Work.

When Lap2 is connected to Home I can't browse the internet. Immediately after establishing the connection I can browse the internet, but after around 15 seconds every request hangs. The same happens if I connect Lap2 to Home using an Ethernet cable. The specifics are as follows:
  • I can ping any website, but running traceroute always returns three columns of asterisks regardless of the address I give as a parameter.
  • I can ping 192.168.100.1, which is the router/switch address, both with and without the -b flag.
  • I cannot ping any other address in the local network, i.e. 192.168.100.x, for x not equal to 1; I always get "Destination Host Unreachable".
  • When I enter 192.168.100.1 in a browser, I get the Apache2 Debian default page, whose "hard file" is /var/www/html/index.html; from any other device, this address takes me to the configuration site for the router.
  • When I access this config. site, I can see that Lap2 has always a status of "Offline", regardless of whether it is connected or not to Home.
This is what I've tried so far:
  • I posted this problem at a Debian users group on Facebook and I was adviced to flush routing tables using these instructions: https://linoxide.com/how-to-flush-routi ... rom-cache/.
  • Deleting every file in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/, and restarted the Network Manager service.
  • Running iptables -F (as root, of course) and restarting Network Manager.
  • Adding Lap2's wireless MAC address to the whitelist at 192.168.100.1 from Lap1.
None of the above have changed the behaviour of Lap2 connected to Home. I'm at my wit's end with this pickle. Right now I'm posting from Lap2 using Work. Puzzling facts:
  • If I connect to Home using USB tethering via my phone on Lap2, I can browse the internet with no problem.
  • If I log out and use my guest account in Lap2, I can browse; the connection is painfully slow, but I do have internet access plus I can traceroute sites with just a few lines of asterisks, not all of them. Still, I cannot ping local network nodes (i.e. 192.168.100.x) from the guest account.
Both laptops return 192.168.100.1 when issuing cat /etc/resolv.conf.

I apologise for the bad formatting, but I'm not very familiar with the markup of this forum.

EDIT: I bought a WiFi USB antenna to plug into Lap2, and connected it to Home; the same thing happens: I can establish a connection but no name gets resolved; I can ping but traceroute always returns asterisks.

Please help!
Quid non intellegas aut tace aut disce.