Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installed Debian 11+KDE on Ryzen, no desktop and multiple boot warnings

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
postcd

Installed Debian 11+KDE on Ryzen, no desktop and multiple boot warnings

#1 Post by postcd »

Hello,
debian-11.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso downloaded torrent, checksum OK. I was installing on this AMD Ryzen 7 ZEN computer specification (reported by Manjaro, not Debian!), first i was confused by UEFi/non UEFI screen so i ended up with non-bootable computer. It was fixed from within rescue mode after like 2 days.

Now when the system was booting (it was default 5.10.0.11-amd64) i could see some errors:

Regarding amdgpu, i will try to install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu package per https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo but i do not understand why Debian is so unfriendly not offering installation of the AMD Ryzen APU drivers during system installation instead causing non bootable OS? See below..

Then it ended in boot mode, not loaded DE - KDE. last two lines:
started simple desktop display manager
starting hostname service
after Alt+F5
i can login as root and dmesg/journalctl -k shows following (chronological order):

Following are the last kernel log lines, maybe related to "starting hostname service" stdout line:

startx command can start the KDE plasma, but it does not start itself at boot. I am not the only one with this issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... _load_kde/

Which commands do You suggest please to fix issues shown? Thank you in advance for your time.
Last edited by postcd on 2022-01-23 21:44, edited 2 times in total.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Installed Debian 11+KDE on Ryzen, no desktop and multiple boot warnings

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Try

Code: Select all

# apt install isenkram
# isenkram-autoinstall-firmware
Debian isn't unfriendly, it just takes a little time to get to know it.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

postcd

#3 Post by postcd »

Thank you, that insenkram commands helped to fix KDE startup issue. (installed amd and realtek firmware that Debian failed to offer install)

Numerous warnings still remain, but system seems to be stable so far.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

These seem to be BIOS firmware bugs. If everything else works, you can probably ignore them.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

Yes, don't worry as long as everything works as expected. (I get boot warnings on my computer too because of buggy BIOS firmware.)
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD