Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can we stop Opera from usurping /usr/bin/gnome-www-browser ?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Aarick

How can we stop Opera from usurping /usr/bin/gnome-www-browser ?

#1 Post by Aarick »

While Firefox is of course my browser of choice, I have a few others, for reasons, including Opera.

In XFCE's "Settings Manager", in "Default Applications", Firefox is duely registered as the "Web Browser". So far, so good, everything works as expected.

Now, is sometimes happens that an indirect opening of a web page results in the uncalled-for opening of Opera, for example when running `debian-reference`. No big deal, I just adjust `sensible-browser` via `update-alternatives --config gnome-www-browser`, and the deed is done … for a while. Then, I find Opera again as the `sensible-browser`, even though XFCE's "Default Applications" remain unchanged and Opera is −not− set as the default browser as per its own settings.

I have `https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/` in my softwares repos, and automated updates, so that *may* the route of this unseemly behavior.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How can we stop Opera from usurping /usr/bin/gnome-www-browser ?

#2 Post by canci »

Just stop using 3rd party browsers with sketchy custom repos that have invasive post installation scripts.
Or kindly ask Opera to cut it out. :)
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

canci wrote: 2022-01-27 15:57 Just stop using 3rd party browsers with sketchy custom repos that have invasive post installation scripts.
Or kindly ask Opera to cut it out. :)
Or maybe NOT install things that are not in the Debian repo unless you are willing to accept the possible consequences. Just my opinion of course.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

I see it's available via snap so you could try that version, which might not be able to usurp the default browser's place.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

ticojohn wrote: 2022-01-27 18:54 Or maybe NOT install things that are not in the Debian repo unless you are willing to accept the possible consequences.
+1

But, maybe he just wants to experience a SNS effect - like receiving e-mails from hackers who were able to take over his list of email addresses ...
I wish Him luck.

If He doesn't care about his privacy, then maybe He should try a Brave Browser then?
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

ImageOpera is a non-free (proprietary) software. It isn't supported by Debian. It's probably wiser to use a supported web browser !
That red admon-warning.png on the wiki doesn't exactly inspire folks to use it. :wink:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.