Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install KVM on Debian 11.3.0

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Gen3x

How to install KVM on Debian 11.3.0

#1 Post by Gen3x »

Hello,

I just installed Debian 11.3.0 x64, but I'm really struggling to install KVM and the relative UI offered by QEMU (pardon the literacy if it's not correct)

These are the difficulties I've met:
1. There are many broken packages reported when I try to install KVM with a simple procedure found online, it's quite a rare case, but it happened... Plus, it doesn't find part of the packages required in stable.
2. I tried 3 guides plus the official one for Debian, I didn't succeed, it seems that none of the packages necessary is in Debian stable, is it normal? What repo should I use?
Debian guide: https://wiki.debian.org/KVM (I fail at the first step, and I don't see any other in other guides, I don't have much choice)

It seems that I just need to pick up the correct repo, but which one? backport?? I wonder why it could be there though, it should be in stable or contrib.

Thanks for any help.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to install KVM on Debian 11.3.0

#2 Post by CwF »

Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-12 11:57 it doesn't find part of the packages required in stable.
start being very specific. They are ALL in stable and have been for years...

I'll need to refresh my memory, there are 'sub-sections' of functionality and you don't need everything.

start with qemu-system-common and see what that pulls in, mostly the back end. I can't decide at the moment, alone, vmm will not pull in the backend, libvirt will not pull all, kvm will not, etc. But for sure STABLE will have everything...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Ya, I'm looking..I have machines with vmm without the backend to connect to vm servers...some vm servers have no frontend. I guess libvirt-daemon might be optional, and I do remember a script package that might have been missed in Bullseye, think fixed.

One snag is I believe iptables is still required and may not be default installed...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

kinda recent

Code: Select all

$  grep qemu amd64_2212_selections.txt
ipxe-qemu					install
libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu			install
qemu-guest-agent				install
qemu-system-common				install
qemu-system-data				install
qemu-system-x86					install
qemu-utils					install
$   grep virt amd64_2212_selections.txt
gir1.2-libvirt-glib-1.0:amd64			install
libgovirt-common				install
libgovirt2:amd64				install
libsys-virt-perl				install
libvirt-clients					install
libvirt-daemon					install
libvirt-daemon-config-network			install
libvirt-daemon-config-nwfilter			install
libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu			install
libvirt-daemon-system				install
libvirt-daemon-system-systemd			install
libvirt-glib-1.0-0:amd64			install
libvirt0:amd64					install
python3-libvirt					install
virt-manager					install
virt-viewer					install
virtinst					install
...interesting, I have no "kvm" anything in there!

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#5 Post by fabien »

For me, the package that pulled all that I needed (and more) was 'virt-manager'. It is the only that has no dependency upon, the others being automatically installed.
And yes, for now it requires iptables (the only reason why it is still installed), a dependency of 'libvirt-daemon-system' to be precise.

Gen3x

#6 Post by Gen3x »

I found the issue in the repolist, despite I enabled the current ones available, it was missing "bullseye main" , there were only "bullseye-updates" and "security".

The issues were 2 here and still nothing changed since 10y:
1. The repo list is not enabled just because at the time of the OS installation, the network is disabled or not set up
2. The "main" list packages in this case was missing

I strongly believe that this should be fixed, I bumped into this in my whole experience since Debian 5, but it has been a few years that I don't use Debian, therefore, I forgot it and I needed to spend 1:30 to fix it...

Thanks everyone.