Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Backporting kernel OK?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
deegixl

Backporting kernel OK?

#1 Post by deegixl »

Hi,

I plan to buy a Pc with a 12th generation processor.
To support this processor I need the kernel 5.16 at least. I woul like to install bullseye and backport the kernel.
I saw it is possible but do you know if there are some inconvenients, will everything work the same after that?

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Backporting kernel OK?

#2 Post by Hallvor »

I backported not only the kernel, but also the graphics stack many years ago when I had new hardware. Backporting the kernel should work just fine. However, I have no idea if a backport will fix all issues on your hardware.

This page is very useful. You can check actual test reports if people have tried Debian on the same hardware: https://linux-hardware.org/?view=computers
Last edited by Hallvor on 2022-05-14 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Backporting kernel OK?

#3 Post by sunrat »

linux-image-5.16.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 is currently in the backports repository. You will probably also need to install firmware and microcode from non-free repo.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!