Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows 7 Guest on Debian Host looses net after hours

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Mikes56

Windows 7 Guest on Debian Host looses net after hours

#1 Post by Mikes56 »

Hi

I've been dealing with a persistent issue for over a year. I tried posting this on the VirtualBox forum, but it doesn't appear to have much traffic.

My guest will lose internet connection after a while, which is odd in of it self due to the randomness of it. Sometimes it'll lose net after just one our, sometimes it'll run a few hours, but no matter what it always looses net. I at that point have no net. I've tested this with simple pings to google and trying to access the net normally.

The net is via ethernet so its not a wifi issue. I've tried every combination of "Attached to" and every single "Adapter Type" I can think of. For a while I was able to get it consistently working using, I believe Bridged Adapta + Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop with promiscuous Mode enabled. I found this tip online and it did work, but then VirtualBox issued an update and it has not worked since.

I can provide far more detail if needed as I have detailed logs of all the tests I did, but I wasn't sure if it would help

Has anyone run into this issue and found a fix that works? When I google this I see people have issues with this going back many years.

Thanks!

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Windows 7 Guest on Debian Host looses net after hours

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

Have you searched for events traced at the time of the issues in the logs of the host operating system and in the logs of the guest operating system ?

What is the version of the host’s operating system ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀