Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

setting up debian in a laptop with two harddrives (SSD+hdd)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dcvhere

setting up debian in a laptop with two harddrives (SSD+hdd)

#1 Post by dcvhere »

Hello there,

I'm new to Linux environment. I have my Lenovo g480 laptop setup with one SSD and one hdd. I want to install two os (debian+Ubuntu)
The way I want to set it up is to have boot and root partions of both os in ssd and have a shared home folder in hdd rather having separate home folders for each os. How to setup during installation (fresh) in my case.

Any help would be much appreciated :) :)

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: setting up debian in a laptop with two harddrives (SSD+hdd)

#2 Post by NFT5 »

Have a read through this thread.

Ignore the stuff about Windows. The rest of it is very relevant to what you want to do and if you look at the Partition Editor screenshot, what you want is exactly what I've done. Sunrat has almost the same, so look at his as well.

Each distribution must have its own /home and you can, if you want to, have / and /home in the same partition. I don't because I don't like having data in the operating system partition. Create a separate partition for all your data on your HDD and another on the SSD for commonly used files, if you have the space. Your /home can be quite small if you don't actually use it for data, i.e. just settings and config files. Don't forget to point things like Thunderbird to a dedicated Downloads folder in your data partition and do the same for other programs that use a default location in /home. After you install both distributions tidy up /etc/fstab in each to mount your data partition and make sure that your swap is correctly referenced.

One tip: If you're going to run Debian and Ubuntu, install Ubuntu first. It has a nasty habit of making a mess in the boot partition in my experience. I've had the same as you're planning and found that having both on the same machine really makes it obvious how much slower Ubuntu is than Debian. Slow to boot, slow to use and using sudo for everything drives me nuts. Each to his own, though. I will concede that Ubuntu does make installation with odd hardware much easier, though.