Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Realtex 8811cu (drivers from GitHub), have no idea how to create a working "hotspot" to share wireless connection

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
wireless

Realtex 8811cu (drivers from GitHub), have no idea how to create a working "hotspot" to share wireless connection

#1 Post by wireless »

I'm having a tough time trying to make a hotspot for a wireless usb nic. I get NetworkManager to work reliably on every boot, works great to connect to the wireless using my manual setup. If I disconnect and use nmcli to bring up the same connection, it just fails. Repeatedly and forever. Until I reboot, and it connects every single time, on every reboot. FIgured I'd mention that because it seems like that's a bug. That's not my issue though.

I want to share this connection with other devices because I want all the devices that connect to this network to use the custom DNS (Pi-Hole to block dumb useless energy-wasting advertising and telemetry connections.)

When I go to "edit connections" and click the + symbol and choose Wi-Fi and set the mode as "hotspot" and IPv4 is set to "shared to other computers", sometimes the network name is visible, but when it's brought up, it just disconnects the current wireless connection I'm using to send this and there's nothing to share.

I can't possibly believe that I'm the only human being on this planet that wants to do this on Linux, SURELY I'm missing something.

I've tried NetworkManager, nm-cli, Yast's Wicked (not so wicked afterall), and I don't look forward to muddling through the cryptic klingon language of wpa_supplicant, that will probably take MONTHS to figure out how to use.

So, I'm asking the community for help, because this is ridiculous and Linux will just never take off if users have to deal with this complexity for seemingly very very basic networking tasks.

A toddler could get a hotspot to work on Windows 10, but on Linux it requires hours, days or WEEKS of studying the available tools, trying different tools, getting absolutely nowhere with it, making multiple forum posts, waiting for other users more knowledgeable than I, trying that advice, and if it doesn't work, wait some more. Such fun.

Segfault

Re: Realtex 8811cu (drivers from GitHub), have no idea how to create a working "hotspot" to share wireless connection

#2 Post by Segfault »

Looks like an XY problem. To use a desired DNS you do not need to share connections, set up hotspots and go crazy in general. If your devices are using DHCP then just set up your DHCP server properly, And of course you can override DHCP offered DNS manually in each device if you wish.
So, I'm asking the community for help, because this is ridiculous and Linux will just never take off if users have to deal with this complexity for seemingly very very basic networking tasks.
A toddler could get a hotspot to work on Windows 10, but on Linux it requires hours, days or WEEKS of studying the available tools, trying different tools, getting absolutely nowhere with it, making multiple forum posts, waiting for other users more knowledgeable than I, trying that advice, and if it doesn't work, wait some more. Such fun.
Methinks you may have misunderstood the purpose of these (or any Linux users) forums. We do not sell Linux and we do not give %$#@ what you are using there. If you feel better with Windows then use it. I have an Intel NUC in my bedroom, working as Kodi frontend, running Gentoo. It is wired as everything in my home, so I figured I could use its wireless as an access point for phones. Took me less than ten minutes to set it up, using a text editor. I guess you should switch to Gentoo then for easy network management?

Anyhow, you should use for access point something which can offer quality connection with good range. My main AP is Ubiquity, before mentioned Kodi box is just a local helper. Therefore I'd say creating an access point on some low quality wireless device and then using it for all wireless devices is a bad idea in general.

To sum it up, to complete successfully "basic networking tasks" basic networking knowledge is required.

wireless

Re: Realtex 8811cu (drivers from GitHub), have no idea how to create a working "hotspot" to share wireless connection

#3 Post by wireless »

Segfault wrote: 2022-07-04 15:58 Looks like an XY problem. To use a desired DNS you do not need to share connections, set up hotspots and go crazy in general. If your devices are using DHCP then just set up your DHCP server properly, And of course you can override DHCP offered DNS manually in each device if you wish.
Yes thank you, how helpful! I cannot modify my main wireless router because it is behind am ISP account login and it's not worth my time dealing with it if I can bypass its settings with my own equipment behind it.

Segfault wrote: 2022-07-04 15:58 If you feel better with Windows then use it. I have an Intel NUC in my bedroom, working as Kodi frontend, running Gentoo. It is wired as everything in my home, so I figured I could use its wireless as an access point for phones. Took me less than ten minutes to set it up, using a text editor. I guess you should switch to Gentoo then for easy network management?
Segfault wrote: 2022-07-04 15:58 Anyhow, you should use for access point something which can offer quality connection with good range. My main AP is Ubiquity, before mentioned Kodi box is just a local helper. Therefore I'd say creating an access point on some low quality wireless device and then using it for all wireless devices is a bad idea in general.

To sum it up, to complete successfully "basic networking tasks" basic networking knowledge is required.
This just wasn't quite the advice I was expecting,but looking back, perfectly valid and relatable. I'd be interested in how you accomplished this setup.
Edit to reduce emotional, text-based remarks. I am STILL trying to figure this out and it's been about a month or more, I've forgotten when I started trying to do this under Linux but it was fairly early on with Pi-Hole.

I wonder how well BSD works with wireless, I'll have to try it when I get a more capable device.
Last edited by wireless on 2022-07-31 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

wireless

#4 Post by wireless »

.!
Last edited by wireless on 2022-07-31 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

wireless wrote: 2022-07-03 18:12When I go to "edit connections" and click the + symbol and choose Wi-Fi and set the mode as "hotspot" and IPv4 is set to "shared to other computers", sometimes the network name is visible, but when it's brought up, it just disconnects the current wireless connection I'm using to send this and there's nothing to share.
Does the device support both access point and client ("managed") modes? Check with iw(8). Most cards can't connect to the interweb whilst being used as an access point. Such devices need another interface available.

And Segfault is quite correct — a better approach is to set the nameserver on all devices to the Pi-Hole. This is advised in the Pi-Hole documentation also.

Pro Tip: if you whine less you might get better answers in future.
deadbang

wireless

#6 Post by wireless »

All I can say is this works exceptionally well in Windows 10 and I am trying a program with a GUI but it doesn't activate.

Link: https://github.com/lakinduakash/linux-wifi-hotspot

Now, I have been very reluctant to try the "improved" drivers offered in the help doc as I already have the one mention in top thread and would like to believe that the driver is not the issue but I have no idea.

Yeah I've already modified others phones and stuff in the dns server settings and wifi settings. Sure--but how do you do that on a device where those DNS options are not available, like a locked-down streaming device? This hotspot doesn't work because wi-fi "hotspot" range is LITERALLY less than 12-15 feet at the absolute most, but agaim, with the current hardware that I have today, what is the alternative? I had to move my desk out of my room, into the hallway and then move it even closer (having line of sight with the wireless and other device) and then I still had a weak signal.

I had a great wifi device but it was a bit outdated and I didn't really want to keep using it with older underlying kernel versions--thought I could put another system on it but I do not believe it has the storage available and I probably bricked it. I doubt I have the interest nor would it be feasible to solder on more memory and a new software storage chip. Better off buying either a r-pi or another wi-fi router that can be updated long-term.

Regardless, I'll be revisiting this topic for other wireless hardware (r-pi is well covered) maybe a wireless router that is more open like the belkin stuff.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

It would be a better thread if you posted debian version, and vendor ID https://wiki.debian.org/HowToIdentifyADevice or lsusb of the device and posted links for all the additional things you have installed. I don't understand the yast ref, this is debian, we don't have that? Are you even running debian?

NetworkMangler is tricky, but hostapd is very mature and reliable for creating an AP if the device is capable.

As an example, this device does not support AP or shared AP/station/client:

Code: Select all

root@debian:~# iw list | grep -A3 modes
        Supported interface modes:
                 * IBSS
                 * managed
                 * monitor
--
        software interface modes (can always be added):
                 * monitor
        interface combinations are not supported
Experimenting with different drivers is windows-based thinking, this isn't windows. Installing a foreign pkg won't fix a hardware issue. There are some useful out of tree developers, but for wireless, you really need support in the kernel.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

P.S.
...Linux will just never take off if users have to deal with this complexity ...
https://truelist.co/blog/linux-statistics/
resigned by AI ChatGPT