Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to switch my alt keys while keeping the 'menu bar' (Xkboard or other)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Michael_Gauthier

How to switch my alt keys while keeping the 'menu bar' (Xkboard or other)

#1 Post by Michael_Gauthier »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Debian, and I'm trying to configure my keyboard, using Xkboard, but I'm struggling. I edited my /etc/default/keyboard file to set it up according to my own preferences, here is what it looks like so far:

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="fr"
XKBVARIANT="mac"
XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:swap_lwin_lctl,lv3:lalt_switch"
BACKSPACE="guess"
I'm pretty happy with the 'alt' setting, I do have access to AltGr with the left Alt key, which is nice, but in the process, neither Alt key activates the menus with certain applications (e.g. Firefox) any more, which I thought would now be on the right Alt key, and would like it to be so if possible.

In other words, originally my left Alt key triggered a menu, my right Alt key was a third level key. How can I now have the exact opposite? That's to say:

- Left Alt key: third level key
- Right Alt key: "menu" key

I thought I could achieve it with Xkboard, but if that is not possible I'm willing to use other tools.

Please keep in mind that I'm a total Debian beginner, so I may have forgotten to mention important elements. Don't hesitate to tell me so if that is the case, or if anything is unclear, I'll add any missing detail.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help you may provide, I've been at it for days and I'm still struggling...