Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Display dissapears after the grub menu

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
idoh

Display dissapears after the grub menu

#1 Post by idoh »

Hi,

I am using Debian on Dell, G15 laptop. It has NVIDIA RTX 3060 installed.
After updating my kernel from 5.18.0-2 to 5.18.0-4, some problem has emerged.
The system boots normally goes through the BIOS logo and grub's menu.

Just after starting the system with kernel 5.18.0-4 some boot output lines are displayed and then screen goes blank.
The system, however keeps going and approaches to the login screen but I can't see it. I do able to login by blind-typing in my password and to start a gnome session, but without visual output.
However, the laptop's external HDMI output works as expected. By connecting an external display I am able to see the relevant part of the workspace.

This issue also happens when I am booting in a recovery mode. After grub's menu the initialization process approaches to the root password but I can't see it.
I am able to blind-type in the password and give a reboot command, but again I can't see anything.

This issue is not happening when I use kernel 5.18.0-2.

How can I debug this situation for finding the culprit element?

Relevant syslog output is herewith enclosed.

Thanks

Ido
syslogout.zip
relevant syslog portion
(43.91 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

debjoe

Re: Display dissapears after the grub menu

#2 Post by debjoe »

You may try to enable switchable graphics in your bios setup, if not already enabled https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-u ... -notebooks

idoh

Re: Display dissapears after the grub menu

#3 Post by idoh »

The "Hybrid Graphics" option was off. I turned it on and the issue disappeared.
Hence I consider this issue solved.

Many thanks!

By the way, the reason that it was off until now is that there is a comment in the BIOS saying that hybrid-graphics are not supported on linux. It appears that something has changed in this context.